Got a new rifle, Tikka T3 .223, Who likes them too?

I have written about that new grip before and how it improves hold while making the trigger finger position much better.
I also went from sight in to scoring at good distances, so I kept shooting. It seemed the barrel bore was smoother being new than models years earlier.

I was astonished on how easy it was to clean after 40 rounds fired. Cleaned easy Like my Douglas custom barrel. Even with the 6-9 harris bipod on it, the rifle still kicks a good bit. One of the first things I noticed was how the stock was designed for iron sights. Not coolTikka Corp! My kimber Montana stock when held w/o a scope, pointed up about 20 degrees from the line of sight. That keeps the recoil down to a manageable level. Maybe they can improve on that with the Tikka T4!

Yes most Tikka models have had a basic western stock. Some have an adjustable cheek piece. I have not held a Forest model which looks better.
Sako did this too when they went to the 85 model it has a more basic western style. I felt the 75's had a much better recoil displacing style.

I have a 1-8 223 varmint and I love it. Modified the mag to shoot 75gr Amax, other than that all I shoot are the Barnes 62gr TSX. It's a deer killing machine.

Im not a stock designer. I laid my kimber Montana ontop of the Tikka and the top of the comb of the Montana is about 3/4" higher than the Tikka. The butt end of the stock of the Montana is in opposite angle of the Tikka. Just a heads up.
I just installed a limbsaver Airtech recoil pad that is as soft as a certain body part of Kate Upton.

Last edited:
I have a 243 and 22-250. Really happy with both, added Boyd's stock to each. I did a snow camp paint job on the plastic for winter time. A hunting buddy picked one up, and has carried it this summer over his Dtech... that is a surprise for him to use a bolt so much. He added a custom bolt, other wise stock.
You willl be happy with the tikka

I've been shooting a t3 22-250 the last couple years. My favorite rifle. My only complaint is the magazine capacity and stupidly expensive higher capacity mags. It's a great shooter, and cheap enough that I don't feel compelled to baby it when hunting.

Originally Posted By: DakotaBoyI have a 243 and 22-250. Really happy with both, added Boyd's stock to each. I did a snow camp paint job on the plastic for winter time. A hunting buddy picked one up, and has carried it this summer over his Dtech... that is a surprise for him to use a bolt so much. He added a custom bolt, other wise stock.
You willl be happy with the tikka
Did you see an increase in accuracy after the stock change? If so, how much? Thx.

Last edited:
243, I didn't notice any difference after the stock change, either way the tikkas have more talent to shoot than I do.
Either one shoots very well off the bench when sighting in. Can easily do the 1" groups if I do my part.
When the coyotes are running ?
well let's just say heart rate has had an effect on accuracy lately, lol.
We have had amazing success on coyotes lately, showing up hard and fast, with some misses on the runners.

I just finished some extensive testing with my T3x lite in 270 win.. The 130 SST's with 59.5 H4831 and fed 210's will be my go to load for hunting. The 110 pro Hunter and the 110 Vmaxes went half MOA at 200 yards, but the lack of velocity makes the 130's the winner ballistically. Primers tested were the Fed 215 GM, (remember these primers?) WLR, and Rem 9 1/2 primers with the 130 load. The WLR shot very low vertical while spreading out horizontally. (Over 1 MOA).
Shooting In the high 80's heat, cooled the barrel down after the 2nd shot with a fan. Needless to say, shooting a total of 65 cartridges takes awhile!
The 130 Sierra game kings did very well also with RL22 going under half MOA vertically @ 200 yards. Going Just under MOA horizontally. Still not beating the ballistics of the H4831 load [beeep].
With all of the bells and whistles I have installed on the Tikka, it is now fun to shoot. Fellow club members yesterday congratulated me on how loud my muzzle brake was!
smile.gif

I have a T-3 in .223 with 1-8 twist. Shooting 75gr Amax pills, can be fed one at a time but not handy so modified the magazine to have room for longer bullets that are also pulled out to meet the lands. shoots great off bench out to 600 yds (haven't had time to try farther). added suppressor once adjusted point of impact its twice the fun.

these not much out there for after market triggers, at least that I've found. All and all awesome out of the box rifle thats light and great to carry.

I was able to reduce my vertical group from 3'' to 1 7/8'' @ 500 yards with 59.5 H4831 and the 130 SST's by switching from Fed 210's to WLR primers with 4 shots. Now all I need is December and the coyotes running!

Last edited:
Back