Those darn Canadians

bark

Saw a news piece this morning that a Canadian sniper is the new record holder for the longest confirmed kill in combat at 3450 meters. The Canadians hold 3 of the top five spots for longest kills in combat. That's some fine shooting!

WOW, that's some hard holding!

Quote:
Record-Breaking Canadian Sniper Kills ISIS Fighter With Two-Mile Shot

By Conor Gaffey On 6/22/17 at 3:49 AM

The bullet traveled 3,450 meters—over two miles—and took less than 10 seconds to reach its target: a fighter for the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) in Iraq.

Those are the details of the world record-breaking shot fired by a Canadian sniper, who has eclipsed the previous longest-confirmed kill by almost 1,000 meters.

A member of Canada’s Joint Task Force 2—part of the U.S.-led coalition that is taking the fight to ISIS in Iraq—made the kill during an operation that took place within the last month in Iraq, sources told The Globe and Mail. The identity of the sniper and his observer was kept anonymous for operational security reasons.

The sniper used a McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle—the standard long-range sniper of the Canadian military—and fired the shot from a high-rise building in an undisclosed location. Firing from such a distance, the shooter would have had to account for wind; the round dropping as it was fired from a higher location; and even the curvature of the earth.

“The shot in question actually disrupted a Daesh [ISIS] attack on Iraqi sources,” a military source told The Globe and Mail . “Instead of dropping a bomb that could potentially kill civilians in the area, it is a very precise application of force and because it was so far away, the bad guys didn’t have a clue what was happening.”

Canada has been involved in the war against ISIS since 2014. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government ordered the withdrawal of six Canadian fighter jets, which had been attacking ISIS positions in Iraq and Syria, in late 2015. But the Trudeau government has expanded the number of Canadian special forces involved in training missions with Kurdish Peshmerga forces, which will grow from 69 to 207.

In response, ISIS has called for attacks in Canada, and several fighters claiming allegiance to the group have gone on shooting sprees in the country. In October 2014, Martin Couture-Rouleau—who was known as Ahmad the Converted—drove a car into two Canadian soldiers near a Quebec mall, killing one. The attacker had had his passport revoked months earlier after showing sympathies for ISIS and expressing a desire to travel to Iraq.

Two days after the attack, Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a Canadian-Libyan, shot and killed a Canadian soldier at the National War Memorial before breaking into the parliament buildings, where he was shot dead. Canada's then-Prime Minister Stephen Harper said that the attacker had been motivated by Canada’s participation in the war against ISIS.

The world record sniper shot means that three of the top five longest confirmed kills were carried out by Canadian snipers. The top five are:

1.Canadian sniper in Iraq (2017): 3,450 meters.

2.British sniper Craig Harrison in Afghanistan (2009): 2,475 meters

3.Canadian sniper Rob Furlong in Afghanistan (2002): 2,430 meters

4.Canadian sniper Arron Perry in Afghanistan (2002): 2,310 meters

5.U.S. sniper Brian Kemer in Iraq (2004): 2,300 meters

http://www.newsweek.com/world-record-sniper-kill-isis-iraq-canada-628156

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI read that this morning. That was one he11 of a shot, Canadian or not. One less bad guy too!

Ain't no big deal...hold my beer...

lol.gif

That's some fine shooting.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: bark The Canadians hold 3 of the top five spots for longest kills in combat.

Well, yeah! Them Canucks are using American guns and shooting American ammo in them too. Why, I bet we even taught them out to shoot is what I bet we did. Eh?

Originally Posted By: 204 ARIncredible shooting. I wonder how many shots it took to walk it in? Surely not a 1st shot?

I dunno man.......I'm not too sure too many people, camel jockeys or not, would be standing around waiting for the SECOND 50 BMG rounds to land anywhere near them!

Edit - Actually, Foxnews is claiming one shot.

Last edited:
Back