New Member & Two 12FV's

nd_rice

Hello all.

Just thought I would post a little about me and 2 rifles I shoot and a little reload info that I'm using with them.

I live in eastern North Dakota so I got these two rifles in hopes of going west to shoot Prairie Dogs. On this side of the Missouri River there are no PD's but we have "flickertails". Flickertail info And like PD's they are a nuisance in cattle pastures.

I've used this once on them and boy it's fun! And more entertaining than using RRA predator pursuit. It's just a Cabela's special 12FV chambered in 204 Ruger with a Bell and Carlson stock, Low DNZ one piece scope mount and rings and a Bushenell 6-24 scope. I really like the DNZ mount and rarely see anyone talk about them.
https://goo.gl/photos/f1D1So3vpQS6VZS26
Sorry about the poor pic quality but you get the idea.
My preferred load for this is 25.1 gr of Reloader 10X, 39 gr Sierra bullet, Rem 7.5, Hornady brass. This is Sierra's recommended load for hunting. I don't remember the velocity off the top of my head.

12FV #2

Bell and Carlson stock, medium DNZ mount and a Vortex HSLR 6-24x50 FFP scope. Oh and it started life as a 204R and now it's a 20 Tac. Shilen 24" select stainles match barrel. Same contour dimensions as factory.
[img:left]https://goo.gl/photos/mE8ZYVeAozXgV3Di7[/img]

LC07 brass, Rem 7.5, 26.4 IMR8208XBR (compressed), 39gr Sierra

url]

[img:left]https://goo.gl/photos/5JDegyBxbdgiXGPx5[/img]
This was a 5 shot group at 100y with a Magneto Speed hanging off the end and NON-fireformed brass. Once the brass is firformed 26.4gr fits in with little to no compression. I really like this 20Tac for some reason. They both shoot well and the Vortex is a nice piece of glass too!

Last edited:
Quite handsome rifles you got there! Now those Savages look as good as they will shoot.

And yes, welcome. The (ahem!) more intelligent of those on this forum all just love Savage rifles.

Welcome aboard!

Now, if Savage would just have stocks that looked and performed
like that from the factory, perhaps they would lose their
"ugly" reputation! I have four Savages with laminate stocks,
but more importantly, are groups like you showed. "Purdy"
doesn't beat accuracy! I may have "purdier" Remmy's and even
Marlins, but none are more accurate than my VLP's!

Would it be accurate to say those flickertails can't tell the
difference between the .204R and the Tac20?? I've had a Shilen
barreled Encore in Tac20 since shortly after Todd Kindler
invented the round. It's also a tack-driver. Got a .204 RAP
a couple years ago, and quite frankly, it doesn't live up to
Hornady's biased statements between the two in their reloading
handbook. Accuracy nodes in my rifles make the two ballistic
twin sisters.

Just got myself one of those FVs; in .22-250 (already have three .204s) and it looks to be a shooter. Plan on going with the same B&C stock. Do you feel much increase in the perceived weight of that (already) heavy rifle? Thanks.

I can't perceive much of a weight gain but adding a Harris bipod up front makes for a even worse front heavy feel.

The only thing I noticed about the stock that isn't perfect is the comb on the buttstock is tall and the handle on my cleaning rod hits it. I guess I just need to get a longer cleaning rod to solve that problem.

You won't regret that rifle/stock combo.

How is your eye alignment to the scope with that stock ?

I really like the B&C stocks and was looking hard at the Anschutz style like your Target/Varmint ..... I have two 10/22's set in B&C Heritage stocks and really like them except for the head positioning. I need to go from Med rings down to std. orget an adjustable comb done....

Back