Look what showed up at my FFL today

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGPicked up some 200 grain TC cast with a BHN of 16 sized at .401 from ACME and seeing some potential.

Pistol: RIA Pro Match, Model 52,000
Benchrest: 25 yds

Bullet: 200 grain TC PB cast, .401"
Lube: 45-45-10
Case: Starline .985"
Primer: WLP
Powder: 8gr of Longshot
COL: 1.250"
Velocity: 1227 fps ES: 10 SD: 3

30 shots at 25yds off the bench:

30 rounds and only hit the bull's eye only once!!!
thumbup.gif

(I'm joking you know!! Good shooting!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: TXCOONDOGPicked up some 200 grain TC cast with a BHN of 16 sized at .401 from ACME and seeing some potential.

Pistol: RIA Pro Match, Model 52,000
Benchrest: 25 yds

Powder: 8gr of Longshot
Velocity: 1227 fps ES: 10 SD: 3

30 shots at 25yds off the bench:

30 rounds and only hit the bull's eye only once!!!
thumbup.gif

(I'm joking you know!! Good shooting!)

LOL....My first shot was low left, adjusted and the next 8 were high to the right so I adjusted. Shot some more and made another adjustment....ran out of handloads.

The gun is consistent.....just need to tighten the nut behind it (me)...lmao

Last edited:
That is really nice shootin! My G20 gen3 SF with a Lone Wolf 4.6" barrel shoots 180 grain XTP's at 1320 fps with 9.8 grains of 800x. It doesn't get much love cause it doesn't meter well, but it shoots great and fast! It's not as pretty as yours, but I love it!
CD83FE56-177A-4FFA-BEF7-C977C2C4CA31_zpssoxwcuo3.jpg

Never tried 800x. I had a G20, G4 with a 4.6" KKM barrel, Trijicon Night Sights and its favorite load:

Bullet: Hornady 180 gr XTP HP
Case: Remmington .985"
Powder: AA# 9 - 14.9 grains
O.A.L: 1.260"
Velocities: Average 1360fps

Runner up:

Bullet: Hornady 180 gr XTP HP
Case: Remmington .985"
Powder: Longshot - 9.3 gr
O.A.L: 1.260"
Velocities: Average 1293 fps

That's good info, thank you. My load doesnt seem to be overly high on pressure. I just settled there cause it had good accuracy. I figure anything around 1300 is plenty. It will prolly give me premature wear, but it's a 10mm! No reason to not run a Norma class load.

On a 10mm bullet note, a fellow on another forum I visit had a spring bear tag this year and saw a very large black bear and proceeded to Injun up on it. The bear somehow ended up popping out at 10' just below him as he was sneaking toward it. He shot it through the top of the skull with a 200 gr. XTP fired at 1,200 fps and got over 14" of penetration down through the skull and neck. The recovered bullet was in surprisingly good shape being pretty well intact and fully mushroomed.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeI have a itch for a 10mm but no real need and I'm not much of a pistol guy.

I wasn't either but started getting into them five years ago or so when I lost my lease and started hunting on public land. Majority of the areas that hold hogs are dense brushy areas that hold water and carrying a rifle is a pain. For me, a pistol with iron sights are a challenge to stay consistent and I practice ( live fire) ever week on my freehand at 25yds and beyond. Before going to work or to bed each day, I pull out my GP100 and work on my trigger control.

In short, I would rather carry my 6lb 6.8 AR as it is less work to stay consistent.

Yep, you don't need super loads in 10mm to get the job done. I reload up and down to find the most consistent loads that I like the recoil impulse of (feel) in my hands. Typically 180 gr 1250-1350 loads are my all around favorite since majority of my shots are 50 yards and less.

If I ever feel the need for recoil or raw power in a handgun, I'll jump up to a 44, 460, 480 or 500 magnums.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TnslimI picked up a RIA Tac II, 5" 10MM Tuesday. Fit and finish is excellent but I did have some trouble with extracting Hornady rounds. Accuracy is good and maybe a bit better than my Glock 20. Recoil is less than the Glock due to the weight difference. Hope I can get the extraction issue figured out as I would like to keep it. I'll for sure keep the Glock as it has ran flawlessly and will eat and spit out everything I've ran thru it.

It might just be a little stiff. Try some 200gr ammo. I had to do this with my Glock 20 when I first got it. I hope it works out for you, RIA sure has some nice looking 10mm pistols these days.

Went to the range yesterday to test the 200gr cast TC with AA# 9. I forgot to take a picture of my target before I left or remove it from the stand before placing it in my truck bed so it blew away.

Needless to say, after 10 shoots in the same ragged hole the next 25 did not appear on paper due to going through the same hole......yep, you'll have to take my word.

Powder: 12.5 gr of AA# 9
Velocity: 1270 fps ES: 11 SD: 04

Powder: 13gr of AA# 9
Velocity: 1308 fps ES: 16 SD: 06

Ordered a custom mold from Arsenal, 403-200 WFN- PC designed for podwer coated cast bullets. Jared was awesome to work with!

Until I receive my new Arsenal mold, I have about 20lbs of Lee 401-175 TC casts to work with:

Even though most already know this, I must add my

Disclaimer:

The information listed is for my pistol, for my use only and is intended for information only. If you decide to buy, use, follow, etc based on the information I have provided than you are doing so at your own risk.

Back