Barnes 36 gr - 221 fireball

pdhunter

Ok guys here's my question
I am running a CZ 527 fireball using 40 gr vmax but yesterday I found some Barnes 36 gr. varmint points. but looking at the load data from Barnes the Velocity is less then I'm getting with my 40 gr vmax.
has any on else run these in their fire ball ?

Being curious I just checked out their load data to see why this might be. Did you notice that they were using a 14" barrel? They just might have been using a Super 14 Thompson Contender and they decided to keep the loads on the light side too.

If I had those bullets I would load them on top of 15.5 grains of Lil Gun or 19 grains of CFE BLK and go to town.

Keep us informed on how they shoot. I might want to try them in my own Furball for next seasons ground squirrels.

Well, the twist rate is fine at 1/14". Just about ideal for a .221 FB. But I was referring to the barrel length- not the twist. The barrel that they used was only 14" long. XP-100 perhaps or T/C Contender. I have a 24" on my FB and get way over 3500 FPS with 40 grain bullets depending on the load that I am using.

I have burned many a pound of Lil Gun over the last 10 years or more. All of it in my .221 rifles.

I have a load worked up for the 36 gr Barnes Varmint Grenade bullet for my 220 Swift. I am very happy with them when I am not shooting in windy conditions, which seems to be more the norm here where I live.
I am going to work up a load for them in my 222 when I shoot all of the ammo I have loaded up for it now and see how they run in it.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullI have a load worked up for the 36 gr Barnes Varmint Grenade bullet for my 220 Swift. I am very happy with them when I am not shooting in windy conditions, which seems to be more the norm here where I live.
I am going to work up a load for them in my 222 when I shoot all of the ammo I have loaded up for it now and see how they run in it. I have thought about trying them in my 222 but so far i havent. Please let us know if you do and the results you get.

Back