fixed power

see no reason for a fixed power, but if I had to choose it would be about 3x. My favorite power overall is 2-7, but 1-4 is better if you hunt in the thick stuff. I now have 2.5-10 and really like it, but all my guns do double duty for jackrabbits. I am never going to use 10x calling coyote. IMHO 500 yard dogs are mostly to make shows like fur takers interesting and sell you a bunch of junk you do not need. 90 percent of critters I have ever called in were inside 100 or so and 200 would be really far. Even in the wide open desert in an elevated position, they pop up in front of you after they slink through the depressions in the land staying out of view. With that in mind I say optimize for not only the most common distances, but also the shots you are most likely to hit. Is it worth missing 10 dogs at 100 with the hubbel on your rifle just so you can get one at 500? Finally, after 10x you really need AO. Whatever though, shoot fixed 36x and enjoy...

I just bought a new rifle and with all the choices I still choose a fixed power scope. One of my favorites has been the Old Weaver K15 fixed 15x if you can find one.
I will never have a shot at a coyote under 100 yards where I hunt. I have made running hits at 100-150 multiple times. You get used to it and there is never anything to adjust.

My new rifle got a SWFA SS 16X. I wasn't sure how I would like it but bullet drops are a breeze and I now love it. Sighted in for 100 yards zero, 300 yards is dropping 2/10 of a MOA and 8/10 at 500 yards. Really easy to do hold over for quick distance shots or you can easily dial in the drop with the turrets. The best part was pricing when on sale they are only $250!

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-16x42-tactical-riflescope-1.html
Look closely at the the reticle. It was the one thing I was unsure of but I now love it.

Yes I own other variable power scopes ranging in price up to over $2000 so price was not an issue, just a bonus. At that price of $250 if you don't like it, mount it on a 22lr.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jacob wiebefixed power is more durable due to less moving parts so if u bump it,it wont loose zero as soon.the fixed also have better optic clarity,which i have found could very easily translate to more fur.i am not a big knob twister but the fixed have better tracking.you can also liken it to a soldier that has used one sword for a long time and knows it very well and it doesn't matter a lot what length it is he will most likely be very good with it,but if u give him a new variable length one which will extend out do u think that will make him a better swordsman?in a scope u can learn how things look at different ranges and you will get quicker.this doesn't translate into to more fur but fixed are better valued.They are just better quality scopes in general because there is more money going into the quality vs the complexity of the scope.

I used to think the same thing. I mainly hunted big game with a 7RM for many years and I could never keep a variable scope from failing. It was not until I bought a quality variable - and I emphasize QUALITY that I found this mindset to be totally wrong. A good low end variable will give you everything you are asking for.

As far as predator hunting, I used a Nikon fixed 4X for many years on my 243W and never felt like I needed more. A lot of LR dogs also with this scope but LR shots are usually not needed if the caller is decent in his calling methods. I now use a 2.5-15 and 2.5-8 but they both mostly stay on the lower end.

Last edited:
I've had great success with fixed 4x scope and have never felt handicapped with it.

360bda05a8071bc30bad8dde94ce4001.jpg

Back