.:That Place 0n T0p:.

Infidel 762

Staff member
Voices of the southwesterly wind hummed through hot, metal blades. Inventions of man, created to bring water above the earth. For eons, water and soil have fought one another for that place on top. One can trace it back to its beginning, when the first drops descended as rain.

Folklore, from before the crazy dog society, tells of when the entire earth was covered in ocean, animals tried to swim to the bottom of the sea and bring up dirt, in order to create land. All attempts failed until muskrat had the idea of placing dirt on the back of turtle. His idea spawned and developed into the land we now know as North America, a place on top of water.

Old man turtle is more than just a symbol of protection and long life, more than a conceptualist of dry land. For those with the right set of eyes, he is the shifter of the very conceptions of our continent.

We still recognize the line that separates that place on top from that place down below, we call it sea level. It was there, 400 meters above sea level, upon which I set up above.

I placed my gimmicks down below where 3 lines collide, anticipating their approach to come in low along the stream bed or hopefully appear on the opposite ridge for a glance down below. I love it when they follow the script.

As I gather my self and belongings, I take note of how the wind and heat dropped in just the last 30 minutes. They are not the only things to drop or tumble, as late afternoon gives way to dusk.  I stay low along the stream bed as a make my way a few hundred yards to repeat the same tactics. Shortly into the stand I look over my shoulder to my 4oclock and there is a pup just standing there staring at me. Within a few seconds he turns and runs. My next series and I have 3 coming in; I drop the lead coyote and bark a second to stop. After I shoot the second coyote I look over to see the first one all hobbled up, stagger out of sight into tall grass.

Another young barren female

Some people hunt for fur, some for sport and others to protect livestock. One can site many reasons for the one desired outcome.

I can say that I chase coyote for a number of reasons. But in all honesty I do it because; the therapeutic value that comes from the mental aspect of hunting coyote is without parallel. The result I get when it all comes together, is what gets me that place above. That place above any stress that is the price for living in this culture of modern Americana.

Its good stuff… gets me back to that place on top…

1689.gif

Nice setup, Jeremy. Would love to hunt some terrain with a little "character" for a change. But, heck, I might get a nosebleed @ 400 m elevation.
lol.gif
Flat brush country all looks the same. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Regards,
hm

Nice story and pics. I havent seen a soft shelled turtle in many years. When i was a young kid i would catch them sometimes fishing the creeks. One of the first times i hooked one it was snagged by the tail and it put such a fight i thought i had a monster fish. Then got it in and could not do anything with it were they are so fast and mean. Also is that not a old cherokee legend?

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762

I can say that I chase coyote for a number of reasons. But in all honesty I do it because; the therapeutic value that comes from the mental aspect of hunting coyote is without parallel. The result I get when it all comes together, is what gets me that place above. That place above any stress that is the price for living in this culture of modern Americana.

Its good stuff… gets me back to that place on top…

thumbup1.gif

- DAA

Thanks all and those softshells are particularly ugly when they contract their heads, emphasizing their foreskin

Originally Posted By: hm1996Nice setup, Jeremy. Would love to hunt some terrain with a little "character" for a change. But, heck, I might get a nosebleed @ 400 m elevation.
lol.gif
Flat brush country all looks the same. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Regards,
hm

Oklahoma is pretty flat too, plains and prairie. Some places you can only hunt certain times of the year. By late summer we lose a lot of visibility by weed growth. We get the opposite effect with certain crop fields, predominantly wheat, corn and rye fields. Still you get to hunt that ranch with all the exotics, I would to hunt around creatures like that
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: hunter243sgkNice story and pics. I havent seen a soft shelled turtle in many years. When i was a young kid i would catch them sometimes fishing the creeks. One of the first times i hooked one it was snagged by the tail and it put such a fight i thought i had a monster fish. Then got it in and could not do anything with it were they are so fast and mean. Also is that not a old cherokee legend?

Like onehorse said is the tail of turtle island

Back