still getting parts together. anyone know a good step by step book?

champ198

been working on getting parts together to build my first AR.
have almost all the lower parts other than butt stock and buffer setup.
can anyone suggest a good book that I can buy that shows step by step process of putting it all together.
I have a gun room in my parents house since my house is small and they do not have internet or cell service there.
that is where I am planning on doing my build but really don't have a lot to go off of as far as assembly instructions.
figured I could get a good book and that would help a lot.
any of you all have any opinions on a good one

Youtube is about the best place. Videos work better than a book to me. At least i can see how something goes together in motion.

Majority of it will only fit one way so trial and error is how i put my first one together
laugh.gif

Since they don't have Internet or cell service you might want to look for a DVD instructional video. It is easier to copy what you see someone doing vs reading a book,at least for me, but I'm dumb, just ask my wife . You should google building an AR 15 and see what you come up with. I believe you could record off of your phone or a camera a you tube video and see how it's done. It can't be too hard if I can do it. Good luck on your build/assembly.

you can watch the Midway youtube video on lower assembly several times and take notes for free.

It took me 30 minutes to assemble mine, and that accounts for watching the video once before starting and then pausing between each step. Super simple and easy to follow.

If you have some place where you can access the Internet, you can print the instructions for each step off of Brownell's website, then take the pages to your folks' house to do the work.

There ar so many books i dont know what to recomend. But when i did mine i watched the RRA videos then when i got all my parts i watched it again and went and did it. No more need for anything to go off of. I was done in less than a hour! That was building all of my lower and putting on my upper. There is not much to them!

Are you building your upper, or just assembling the lower? Shoot me a PM, I'd be happy to send a word document tutorial for how to assemble both. Just have to get my wife to break out her camera to supplement some pictures.

Guys get all worked up by seeing how many parts are in an LPK, but it's really a remarkably simple mechanism. Pretty hard to screw up. A guy just needs to 1) understand the location of the controls of the firearm, and 2) be able to identify the individual parts to be able to place them in said respective locations. There's nothing difficult or technical about assembling an AR. Tuning can be a different animal, but the overwhelming majority of home brew AR's in the US are simply assembled with no care given to tuning.

Didn't know a darn thing about AR's. Started googleing & watching you tubes, now I've built over a dozen. My first two, I took my Ipad to my workbench & every time I needed to ask someone a question,
I googled it. I had zero other help. For me the lower parts kit was the hardest but I've done 6 or 8. Now I buy the Stag lower with parts kit installed unless I need a billet lower receiver. I guess next hardest is changing out a trigger unless is one of those closed 1 piece triggers. Good luck.

A word of advise, get the tools you will need. If your going to do lowers do yourself the favor & get a front detent tool for installing the front take down pin, like from Brownell's. Also get you a good punch set with flat & roll pin punches and a set of roll pin starters. I got the Tekton 18 piece gunsmith punch set on line at Lowe's. Also, buy yourself a whole set of extra detents & springs. 98% chance you will need them.

Jim D---

Back