First Pup

tripod3

First pup sighting today on it's own, standing in the middle of the road.
The lessons begin if it doesn't get run over first.
Now maybe all those inclined to argue every post will start seeing a few too.
They can be fun to tease til fall and get a couple pics too.

I have a den near my place (been in use for at least 5yrs) that I slip in and watch the pups one or two nights a week just before dark. They are getting pretty adventurous but still don't get to far from home. I can see them well but I need a better lens for good photos.

P.S. I don't shoot within 2-3 miles of my house because I enjoy hearing them at night and because they keep the neighbors noisy "free range" chickens in check!

P.S.S. YES, I really do like coyotes more than noisy chickens!
rolleyes.gif

I think there is a humorous side and some entertainment once a hunter gets proficient at handling coyotes. That's when a guy can make choices.
Recently spoke with a rancher where I eliminated 17 coyotes this winter. I mentioned he had a lot of barn cats this spring, he replied "Yeah because somebody shot all the coyotes."
Oops! cause and effect got me.

Pups can be downright ding-a-lings. This one, last summer, had already called in the two adults and another pup and the stand was over. Partner and I had stood up, he had lit a cigarette, we were talking, I spot this guy peering at us through the grass only 20 yards away.

20160729_Camping-13.jpg

Tim lip squeaked and he ran right up to us.

20160729_Camping-14.jpg

Then just stood there only 10 feet away staring.

20160729_Camping-15.jpg

Pups are good humor
smile.gif

- DAA

Those are great pics and tell the story well.
Last year a friend who is a game warden was putting across a sagebrush flat when he noticed a coyote pup following along side.
It was looking at his squeaky rear wheel.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762I called in a pup tonite
I assume you gave him a pass. I used to put them all to sleep but now I give many of them a pass til fall.

I won't normally shoot from April to Sept. If one comes in I try for a pic but just can't muster the will to smoke a pup. And before anybody gets in a tizzy about needing to shoot every coyote they see, I have very few coyotes but I have deer at NUISANCE levels.

I saw my first pup of the season this morning. I haven't been out calling the last few months because I like to let the pups grow up so I can hunt them in the fall. But, my daughter really wanted to go calling, and I can't tell her no when she wants to go hunt.

Anyways, going from one stand to another we saw a pup in the road. We were able to pull right up to it. It was still pretty small. Lots and lots of little coyote tracks in the county road so I know the den is close. He had been eating sand plums. You could see where he ate too many of them and threw them up in the road.

That was the first little pup my daughter had seen. She really enjoyed the morning, got to see several new things she hadn't seen before. We found a little ring neck snake too. It curled up on it's back for her, playing dead, showing her that red belly. She thought that was pretty neat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTPinTXI saw my first pup of the season this morning. I haven't been out calling the last few months because I like to let the pups grow up so I can hunt them in the fall. But, my daughter really wanted to go calling, and I can't tell her no when she wants to go hunt.

Anyways, going from one stand to another we saw a pup in the road. We were able to pull right up to it. It was still pretty small. Lots and lots of little coyote tracks in the county road so I know the den is close. He had been eating sand plums. You could see where he ate too many of them and threw them up in the road.

That was the first little pup my daughter had seen. She really enjoyed the morning, got to see several new things she hadn't seen before. We found a little ring neck snake too. It curled up on it's back for her, playing dead, showing her that red belly. She thought that was pretty neat.

Enjoy those times, pretty soon they are married and moved away! Mine is now 26 but I took pictures every time we went out and they are priceless to me.

I thought all coyotes west of the Mississippi were dumb
grin.gif

They always seem to be extra smart every place I hunt them for some reason..... I just can't understand that
w00t.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: jcs271
P.S.S. YES, I really do like coyotes more than noisy chickens!
rolleyes.gif

heck, i like coyotes more than i like most people.
+100 on this

Yep saw my first pup today on the way back from coyote hunting. He was laying in the road not standing. Had several answer my calls but no takers. Guess their all keeping pretty close tabs on the pups and are being pretty cautious about coming to any calls.

Back