Ruger American 204 or 223

dburk

Hey Guys,
Looking for opinions on a new truck gun. I know I want a Ruger American Rifle, either the ranch model or the predator model but I'm not sure on which caliber. Originally I was going to go with a .223 but I see they make the predator model in a .204. I like the thought of the ranch model having the shorter barrel in the .223 caliber, but I've been reading more and more about the .204 and people seem to really like the caliber. I am familiar with the .223 round, but pretty uneducated on the .204 so far. The gun would mostly be used for woodchucks, but I would like to be able to take a coyote at 200yds if the opportunity presented itself. I reload, so don't dwell to much on factory ammo. Thanks for the input!

I have the ruger american predator in .204 and love it. It's a tack driver and is great on yotes. I shoot the Winchester varmintx 32 grain ammo. It is perfect for the yotes I have hit but it blows up fox and smaller critters.

Since you're talking mostly groundhogs, I'd go with the .204R. Barrel's a little too short to get the most speed from that round, but as long as you're not shooting them at over 300 yards they should die with well-placed shots. Much less drop than the .223; you should be able to see your hits with the .204, also.
Since you reooad, I'd go with 39 gr. Sierra Blitzkings or 35 Bergers in that 1:12" twist, for both woodchucks and coyotes.

If it's a "truck gun" than the .223 American ranch is the way to go. Short fast handling and easy to find ammo which isn't an issue if you reload.

I also use a Ruger American ranch .223 as my truck gun and absolutely love it. I've seen a couple used ones in the classifieds here for good prices. Finding a good used one may leave you with enough cash to get .223 and .204
smile.gif
but if I could choose only one it would be the .223 for the short threaded barrel.

Back