Vortex 2.5-10x32 PST FFP for calling rifle

jk2paintworx

I am considering this optic and wondering if anyone has experience with it for hunting? My concern is the light gathering capabilities of the 32mm obj.

Scopes do not gather light. This is a constant misnomer that is spat about.

Scopes transmit light...lens coatings and exit pupil are the likely biggest factors in low light performance.

The human eye can only dilate to about 5mm..and that is when youngest and/or healthiest.

This scope will provide you an exit pupil of 3.2mm at 10 power, or 64% of the max of a human eye.

At 3X and lower, the scope will provide the most light.

These PST line of scopes have great coatings and boast high 90s percent light transmission.

So...in conclusion...this scope will provide you plenty of useable light as configured.

I've used one for a while. The clarity was really good in my opinion, never had any issues in low light. I wasn't a fan of the turrets (or FFP for this mag range) and eventually replaced it.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Scopes do not gather light. This is a constant misnomer that is spat about.

Scopes transmit light...lens coatings and exit pupil are the likely biggest factors in low light performance.

The human eye can only dilate to about 5mm..and that is when youngest and/or healthiest.

This scope will provide you an exit pupil of 3.2mm at 10 power, or 64% of the max of a human eye.

At 3X and lower, the scope will provide the most light.

These PST line of scopes have great coatings and boast high 90s percent light transmission.

So...in conclusion...this scope will provide you plenty of useable light as configured.

Good stuff here^^^^

And keep in mind that if there is any light present your pupil will not dilate to the full 4-6mm ( if you have young eyes )

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redleg84I've used one for a while. The clarity was really good in my opinion, never had any issues in low light. I wasn't a fan of the turrets (or FFP for this mag range) and eventually replaced it.

This was my exact experience as well. Ony thing up here in Sask Canada it gets so cold the turrets just freeze up.

Good stuff 760.

I use scopes with 20mm objectives on some of my calling rigs and if it is light enough to see a coyote coming with my bare eyes it is light enough to kill them wit my scope.

I use a PST 2.5-10x SFP with the bigger reticle on my calling AR. I also don't like FFP in this small of a magnification range. Too small on 2.5x and if I'm going to shoot long range I'll be on 10x anyway.

Or you could watch Ebay for a used 2.5-10 bushnell 4200. I got one for 180 lightly used and the other for 220 NIB. They have a lifetime warranty with no receipt required. Other than its big and heavy, it is an awesome scope.

It has been my experience that I am the first to freeze up not the scope. The scopes only freeze up if you take them in and out of a heated vehicle. I have seen that happen with every manufacturer of scopes that I have been exposed too. Keep them outside and they are fine. Between stands at 30 below they ride in the back,. It hurts but nothing freezes

Back