AR's and lost coyotes

How about a 458 SOCOM and call it done
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: MatlockHow about a 458 SOCOM and call it done
thumbup.gif

that might work! lol
At the range this past week end, a dude was shooting a 458, [beeep] sure cleaned all the dust out of the rafters !!

Originally Posted By: orkanOriginally Posted By: viperI need to sit around longer and watch them and see if any of the ones I've killed with a .22 hornet, .221 fireball, or .17 Rem. or .223 get up and run off! Obviously I'am doing something wrong.
wink.gif
The only thing you and most others are doing wrong is being defensive and self righteous about their choices in cartridge and persecuting others for their choices. That, and being unwilling to accept that different areas require different approaches to obtain consistent success.

Three years go by and nothing changes. Everyone sits in here squabbling like children proclaiming they know best. If everyone shot as much as they shoot their mouths off, none of this stuff would even be up for debate. Everyone would already have proven everything for themselves and there'd be nothing left to discuss.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ouch, I must have hit a nerve! Notice the little smiley face winking.....that means to most people that your teasing or having fun with them. Now take a deep breath and relax...........I did not mean to step on your manhood by implying you can't kill a coyote with anything less than an Abram Tank. I don't squabble, I don't proclaim, I very seldom shoot off my mouth. I just enjoy coyote hunting and reading about hunting them on Predator Master. You have a nice day now!

Viper

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: dawgkillerWOW.

you found a 3 year old thread to pull up and say WOW?

awesome.
tongue_smilie.gif

Yeah, I read the entire thread and got a real kick out of it. I found it an amazing read!

I didn't read through the whole thread, but I assume a lot of it discusses bullet choice/shot placement/etc. All valid points, but I'd like to chime in with my AR experience so far, since the results seem to be similar.

I build my first AR last fall. Just a cheap PSA kit to get a feel for the platform before I figure out what I want for a 'real' calling rifle. It shoots decent enough on paper. It's not as accurate as the Tikka 22-250 I normally call with, but I didn't expect it to be. I have had a [beeep] of a time with it when calling, though. I didn't get to call a lot last winter, so my experience is limited, but I find myself taking quicker shots with it than the bolt gun. Duh, right - it's a semi-auto and carries more than 3 in the mag. But for me, quicker shots = poor shots. I've missed more coyotes than normal, and the hits haven't been placed as well. Maybe the conscious knowledge that it's a problem and some extra trigger time with it will eventually cure the issue, but for the time being I'm not sold on it. Maybe the OP's issue is similar?

Last edited:
That's a honest post . Seems like a lot of folks imply they never miss or make marginal hits. I have never owned one of the black guns but can see the advantages especially in timber or close cover. I would say pack what you like.

As the OP of this mockery thread, I can admit that it was more than likely shot placement! Since this post, like 3.5 years ago, I have not lost a coyote with my 223. I don't take it near as much due to more fun calibers in my arsenal but it has been good to me last couple seasons! I'm not ashamed of the post and some guys on here tried their best to be ''the almighty coyote slayer with a BB gun" with the mockery but we all know they had a runner at one point in time with such caliber! God bless fellows and ALWAYS BE SAFE! I witnessed a terrible accident this past winter of a buddy and don't want it to happen to anyone!

Back