Which savage heavybarrel?

TripleDeuce660

Want to get a centerfire gun just for ground squirrels and PD's. Never had a savage, but think I will try one. Looking at the website I am not really sure what I should get. Model 12 or 25? Probably prefer a laminate stock, but could just get a Boyds. Leaning towards .223 since I do not reload, but considering .204.

Or maybe I should get a RRA A4 Varmint simply because I just moved from a communist state to a free one.

Any recommendations and why?

Last edited:
The model 25 is a neat little rifle but the 12 is much more versatile. If and when you shoot out the barrel or just want to change calibers, its easy on the Model 12, the 25 not so easy if even possible. As for calibers, 223 or 204, both good choices.

Model 25's are basically a centerfire version of the 93 rimfire design. The Barrels are pressed into the action.

My vote is for a model 12 in 204. I got a 12 FCV last year and absolutely love it. I reload so ammo cost is not as important but if I was shooting factory ammo I would probably go with 223.

I bought a Savage Model 12 FV from Cabela's this past spring in .223. Other than the throw away stock, it was a heck of a deal at $300. And it's a tack driver to boot. With another $160 or so, one can have a nice aftermarket laminate stock for way less than a Model 12 VLP. Looks like they are currently on sale for $369 right now.

Originally Posted By: MatlockI bought a Savage Model 12 FV from Cabela's this past spring in .223. Other than the throw away stock, it was a heck of a deal at $300. And it's a tack driver to boot. With another $160 or so, one can have a nice aftermarket laminate stock for way less than a Model 12 VLP. Looks like they are currently on sale for $369 right now.

But you get $5 shipping and a free shirt!!
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Matlock^^^^ Listen to the PM senior, he might know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Hey! I will tell you right now that I happen to know THREE things! Maybe even four!

Originally Posted By: MatlockI bought a Savage Model 12 FV from Cabela's this past spring in .223. Other than the throw away stock, it was a heck of a deal at $300. And it's a tack driver to boot. With another $160 or so, one can have a nice aftermarket laminate stock for way less than a Model 12 VLP. Looks like they are currently on sale for $369 right now.
I just bought one in .22-250; it's a shooter, too.
Also: a Savage 25 can't hold a candle to a C-Z 527.

Last edited:
Have three older VLP's with the blind magazine, .22-250, .243
and .25-06 (yes, they DID sell a 112 VLP at one time). All have
shot 1/2MOA(-). For the price difference now, I would get the
FV model and slap a Boyd's (pillared and bedded) on it.

Since you don't reload, the .223 is probably your best bet. I
do reload and like the .204 more since it's nice to watch the
bullet hit the target through the scope.

If you're contemplating a cheaper rifle, the RAP has a lot more
going for it than the Model 25. Handle both....you'll see what
I mean.

Back