changing cartridge heads on savage axis

Spike

I would like to change my axis 223 to a 243 and was wondering if the bolt head is difficult to change. I don't want to do it if the change is difficult for me, I was able to change barrels on the axis with the information from rusty. thanks Bill

Bill, I've changed out a bolt head on a Bighorn and it's supposedly the same as the Savage system. It was really simple.
Look for videos on YouTube. Gotta be several there.
I think there's several folks here that shoot them so somebody will probably show up shortly.

Changing bolt heads is almost as easy as changing the barrel on Savage rifles. The real problem you will have is you need to change out the magazine and follower, if it is a internal box magazine. I am not sure about the detachable box magazine models, as I don't own one. On the internal box magazines, it can get downright dangerous getting the magazine steel to flex enough to unlatch from the action. I converted a Savage Model 16 from a factory 204 Ruger, to a 260 Rem.(same parent case as the 243 Win.), and had to do exactly what you are exploring. Barrel and bolt head, no problem. I invented new usage of profanity getting the magazine swapped. After the first time, it seems to get easier, but now I don't intend to switch it back to 204 Ruger. I really like the 260 Rem., and I added a AR-15, in 204 Ruger, to fill the .20 cal needs.

I guess someday I should consider selling my Savage parts, from two conversions.
rolleyes.gif

Squeeze

Squeeze, when changing bolt heads on the savage are there springs or other small parts that fly out. the magazines on the axis are the same size on the 223 and 243, no problem there. changing barrels with the correct tools is a piece of cake there is no extractor or firing pin to contend with. that is what I'm trying to find out before I try to change bolt heads. thanks Bill

Only one curved flat washer on the swap. Nothing goes flying. It might get tricky if you have to adjust the firing pin but that is rare and a Google will get you that in pictures. You won't have that issue as the AXIS can't be adjusted.

I took a 25-06 down to 223 and that was a challenge getting it right but now I could do it in ten minutes. The Savage Forum has more information than you will ever need.

Greg

Last edited:
Back