22 Nosler factory loads verses 556 superformance

Do you guys think there would be much difference between the two? I got a new Ruger elite lower and going with a WOA upper. Going light with either the 55s in Nosler or 53s in 556. Not worried about reloading now. Also going to be a short barrel for a truck gun around 18in or so. Velocity looks about the same with Nosler factory ammo a little higher. Guys help me decide. Thanks.

the jury is still out on the nosler, yes it is faster and flatter but if you do not plan on shooting more than 225 yards it is unnecessary.

also if you do not plan on reloading then the nosler may not be a good fit for you.

That's a decision that you will have to make ultimately.

Currently I have 5 different variations of the 223/5.56 and my 2 favorites are the ruger american and a ar with a 24" ar stoner barrel which with hot hand loads is within 100fps of a nosler yet from my experience converted to nosgar it will gain another 100fps.

Remember that the WOA nosler will more than likely have an extended gas system requiring a large diameter handguard that increases mass.

Now that I have started this journey I can't quit thinking about reaming my nosler out to a 22beast.

My best advice is to not waste time and money, get a 22-250 and never look back.

Originally Posted By: tractormanNot worried about reloading now.

Then I wouldn't consider 22Nosler unless you don't mind dropping the coin. Not that superformace is much cheaper but at least you have multiple factory options with .223

One of the first things I looked at when 22Nosler dropped was how it compared to factory superformance. The improvements wern't as great as I was expecting, but you also have to keep in mind the 22Nosler was designed for the AR platform specifically. The numbers are based on the AR platform not a long barreled bolt action with an above max load, and it is specifically designed to retain proper functioning. I'd consider building one next time around but .223 has done just fine for me in the meantime. Have had runners for sure but almost never any pelt damage.

Back