Leupold, Vortex, or Nightforce

Originally Posted By: Rich44I know it's not on your list but take a look at the Leupold VX6 2-12 it's just over half the weight of the Nightforce has a illuminated reticle and CDS , the glass on my VX6 is very clear

Awesome scope.

Originally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: tripod3I don't find a comfortable spot in your list. The Leupold 4.5-14 is alright if it has adjustable objective and I don't believe the numbers are real, as in it seems the 4.5 is closer to 4 which would actually be better.
I would look at the Zeiss 3-15 hd5 on sale up above in sponsor specials or the Leupold vx6 3-18.
Both have very usable low end for predators.

From Leupold website. Actual magnification is 4.9 - 14.4

Oh that's worse. I think it has changed with the current models. When I bought one and checked it went the other way. More reason to look at the 3- scopes.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Originally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: tripod3I don't find a comfortable spot in your list. The Leupold 4.5-14 is alright if it has adjustable objective and I don't believe the numbers are real, as in it seems the 4.5 is closer to 4 which would actually be better.
I would look at the Zeiss 3-15 hd5 on sale up above in sponsor specials or the Leupold vx6 3-18.

Oh that's worse. I think it has changed with the current models. When I bought one and checked it went the other way. More reason to look at the 3- scopes.

Explain how you are checking this.

Originally Posted By: Uncle JimboFor my hunting style I decided to go with Leupold. I have several Leupolds, a couple Vortex, and a few NF NXS scopes, among others. All my calling rigs run the Leupold VX-3 or VX-3i CDS due to weight and the shot distances I setup for. Rarely do I ever shoot beyond 300 yards and most shots are 50-200 yards. IMO there's no need for a heavy, high mag scope with a fancy reticle at those ranges.

Choose a scope for the situations you will face while hunting.

Everything in this post screams wisdom and actual experience.

Originally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: tripod3Originally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: tripod3I don't find a comfortable spot in your list. The Leupold 4.5-14 is alright if it has adjustable objective and I don't believe the numbers are real, as in it seems the 4.5 is closer to 4 which would actually be better.

Actually I don't normally take direction from strangers.
But being such an honest person I'll tell you exactly.
Looking for a decent scope for a calling rifle, I spoke with a friend that was a Leupold dealer. He said come by when the rep is here.
I did and we looked over the scopes and his spec sheet comparing repeatedly. It looked like the 4.5-14 had specs close, so on the rifle and to the field it went.

So What is it you're driving at?

Originally Posted By: tripod3Originally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: tripod3Originally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: tripod3I don't find a comfortable spot in your list. The Leupold 4.5-14 is alright if it has adjustable objective and I don't believe the numbers are real, as in it seems the 4.5 is closer to 4 which would actually be better.

Actually I don't normally take direction from strangers.
But being such an honest person I'll tell you exactly.
Looking for a decent scope for a calling rifle, I spoke with a friend that was a Leupold dealer. He said come by when the rep is here.
I did and we looked over the scopes and his spec sheet comparing repeatedly. It looked like the 4.5-14 had specs close, so on the rifle and to the field it went.

So What is it you're driving at?

You are a little defensive aren't you?? Was just asking a serious question with no other motive.

So you are saying that you can discern actual magnification with just your eye? Are you sure you are not just seeing a difference in FOV? Leupold is one of the few that actually documents actual magnification where its not buried in a spec sheet.

Quote:You are a little defensive aren't you?? Was just asking a serious question with no other motive.

So you are saying that you can discern actual magnification with just your eye? Are you sure you are not just seeing a difference in FOV? Leupold is one of the few that actually documents actual magnification where its not buried in a spec sheet.

Just addressing your text as I see it printed.
Quote:So you are saying that you can discern actual magnification with just your eye?
I don't recall ever saying that, joking or otherwise, in my entire life. An educated guess yes.
FOV is a big factor directly correlating with magnification. This directly relates to successful coyote calling/harvesting often. Furthermore non AO magnification over 9 or 10 brings its own problems.
Simply, too much magnification can cost a kill shot even for a well experienced caller.
I have lost opportunities and have seen many others do the same. This is common practical experience.

Once again I fail to see what your driving at.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Quote:You are a little defensive aren't you?? Was just asking a serious question with no other motive.

Just addressing your text as I see it printed.
Quote:So you are saying that you can discern actual magnification with just your eye?
I don't recall ever saying that, joking or otherwise, in my entire life. An educated guess yes.
FOV is a big factor directly correlating with magnification. This directly relates to successful coyote calling/harvesting often. Furthermore non AO magnification over 9 or 10 brings its own problems.
Simply, too much magnification can cost a kill shot even for a well experienced caller.
I have lost opportunities and have seen many others do the same. This is common practical experience.

Once again I fail to see what your driving at.

I simply asked you a question on how you CHECK MAGNIFICATION - your words not mine and your response is looking at a spec sheet when in the previous post you claimed that the magnification was lower than what they said which you still haven't made clear how you came to this determination.

And your still defensive which tells me you have dug yourself a hole and you can't quite figure out how to get out of. And then you continue on, off subject trying to ignore the question. THIS WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE PERSONAL BUT YOUR DEFENSIVENESS is driving it that way on your end not mine.

Quote:I simply asked you a question on how you CHECK MAGNIFICATION - your words not mine and your response is looking at a spec sheet when in the previous post you claimed that the magnification was lower than what they said which you still haven't made clear how you came to this determination.

And your still defensive which tells me you have dug yourself a hole and you can't quite figure out how to get out of. And then you continue on, off subject trying to ignore the question. THIS WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE PERSONAL BUT YOUR DEFENSIVENESS is driving it that way on your end not mine.

I have answered you're questions in detail and you come back with double talk each time trying to put words in my mouth. It is very clear that you are nothing more than a heckler.
Until you can demonstrate some reading with typing skills and common respect maybe you should resort to zapping some bugs.

Back