Gear bag/pack?

SourMash

So now that I know what batteries to get, what kind of bag or pack do you guys find to be most useful for transporting your gear from the truck to the stand? I have a backpack that I thought I was going to use but it's too large and bulky and it has a lot of empty space. Wondering what you professionals use? I have the shockwave and a couple of the motion decoys, the Jack Jr. and the black jack(I think thats the name of it).

Last edited:
no professional here. but i have done my fair share.

i figure if i need a backpack to carry my stuff from truck to stand ,i am carrying to much stuff.

shotgun or rifle carried or slung over shoulder. caller and small chair or stool (if using a chair) carried in other hand. i dont bother with decoys any longer.

Day pack like this & its usually full up, to the point of not taking some stuff..
Have something in each pocket.
Got it at Academy, don't think they have it any more : similar pack

163633168.vlzyX47z.jpg

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotno professional here. but i have done my fair share.

i figure if i need a backpack to carry my stuff from truck to stand ,i am carrying to much stuff.

shotgun or rifle carried or slung over shoulder. caller and small chair or stool (if using a chair) carried in other hand. i dont bother with decoys any longer.

+1 for that. I use a molle equipped duty belt with a couple of pouches for spare ammo, multi tool, hand gun, drag, flashlight if I am hunting at night. I carry my stool, shooting sticks and caller and sling my main gun. Quick in, quick out. The more stands you run the better the chances for success.

I had the same problem when I first started. I carried everything including the kitchen sink and found that in the majority of my stands I only used a handful of the gear I was lugging around. So the most commonly used gear stayed with me and the rest stays in the truck. If you are having to hike over great distances then I would look at getting a backpack and taking more gear. One of my main partners runs a medium sized fanny pack and he swears if it won't fit into the pack it doesn't go.

I'm no professional by any means, maybe a seasoned amateur at best. I have been down sizing year by year and I think I've finally got what works best for me. Currently I don't use any pack! I found a guy on eBay and asked him to make a sling for my foxpro firestorm. I have the decoy that mounts to the foxpro so 2 birds one stone. I sling that over my shoulder, and when it's below zero outside I stuff it in my jacket to help save the batteries. My remote and all my hand calls are around my neck. I sit on a therma seat and I clip it to my back belt loop with a carabener. Shotgun and rifle take turns being carried in hand or slung over shoulder. Depending on terrain. Ammo in pants pockets, rangefinder in jacket pocket and a drag as well as spare batteries.
When I started I used a backpack and like most people I overloaded it with stuff I didn't need. Then I downsized to a duck blind style bag and then eliminated bags all together.
You can read all the opinions given to you but I think everyone will agree, what works for me or the next guy might not work for you! Good luck

I work out of a Badlands daypack. Leave it in truck and take just what I need to my stand if stand is not far. If I'm hiking a bit I'll take the pack.
I'm sort of a minimalist...1 gun and a handcall or 2. Maybe the Ecall next stand. I ain't lugging a bunch of crap around to a stand that I don't need.
Mark

I run out of the same pack. Carries all my stuff like e caller and chair and mojo. Some times even a beer or 2 for the long walk's. It becomes my elk day pack also.

Thanks for the replies fella's. I hated to ask that because I'm not walking anywhere near what you guys out west get to walk. I'm just a new guy thats thinking of slinging a bag and gun over my shoulder and toting my seat. Thanks again!!

Definitely not a pro, just a hunter. Take a look at Eberlestock Packs, we wouldn't get half the kills we do without them!

I've been running the Cabela's speedy yote kickstand vest for a few years now. Its a pretty good vest and gets the job done. I think I would change some pocket locations if designing a new one, but for a day of walking and calling it is a great package.

Before the vest I used the Cabela's catch all bag. Its on sale for $9.99 occasionally. I really like that bag too!

Good luck

Last edited:
Looks like a nice seat, mot sure if it has enough capacity for my caller and lunch.
I think that helps increase my numbers, a lot of lunch scraps.

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterThat's a nice looking seat ram. Whats that called??

That's a Mojo Critter Sitter. I believe they are out of production, which is a bummer.

Ive been using one of these and it works great.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1918246367/military-surplus-usmc-assault-pack-marpat

Perfect size for the Primos Alpha Dogg to fit in the bottom, Plus a Primos Sit n Spin Decoy.
I keep a fleece pullover in the very bottom and the Alpha Dogg goes on top of it, Sit n Spin goes on the right or left of the caller, put a carabiner on the remote and clip it a nylon loop that secures the hydration bladder. Batteries, Cables, battery pack to charge the thermal, light, spare magazine or ammo box. And of course some snacks.
The material is pretty good stuff, its water resistant but i have a magpul daka pouch i put my phone and keys in.
I like that it isnt covered in pockets. Just 2 zippers and you can get to everything.

I use a small back pack with a fold down seat on it, more for the seat than pack, but the pack is handy. Lets me carry my gun in hand and kinda ready if I happen to walk something up on the way to the stand. Like I said, more for the seat than the pack, but I really like having the combo.

Back