Looking for a good Machete

Powerfisher

I am looking for a good Machete to use for trail cutting and camp use. What qualities should I be looking for as far as durability, flexibility, strength and so on? Thanks.

I like stiff, one thing that was a must for me, and is working great, an enclosed handle.
My hands will be wet, muddy, busted up, weak, having that enclosed handle keeps me from accidentally throwing the thing.

I'd say that extreme length isn't needed, the idea that you're going to cut through three feet of brush in one swing is more a pipe dream.

calling4life, you just described mine..
thumbup1.gif

I have a Cold Steel "Panga" and a "Woodsmans Pal" . Can't say I'm in love with either. Fifty years ago I had a GI surplus that was the best ever, but its long gone.

The USN from GI surplus is tops and longer the better. I use it to cut shooting lanes so A long blade lets me reach higher and bend over less. A strong thick blade is a must for minimal vibration and to hold a good edge. Marbles makes a good one also. I have a woodsmans pal and it is ok to carry but not for serious use in my opinion.

I know you said machete, but I have a CRKT woods Chogan that I use more than any of my machetes. Quality wood good head that stays sharp and a hammer style head on the back side great tool. It has a nice lon handle so when the zombies come you don't have to get too close to lodge it in their head. 😂 Also you can pick one up for about half of what I paid for it a few years ago. $40-$50

Machetestore.com

Machetes are made to be used and abused. Great knives can be had cheap. Gavilan, Imacasa, Tramontina, Etc. Lots of them are made in or used in South America.

Still didn't get anything yet. Been trying to decide between a Fiskars or a Schrade. AND, my friend and I are building a forge. Seen too many episodes of Forged in Fire and the bug bit me. Long way away from forging a quality anything so I will invest in a good machete. Like the Fiskars. On sale right now at our local outdoor store.

Back