Calling Rifle Build

JakeM

My needs, wants, and location have changed somewhat over the past few months and I think there will be a new rifle to go along with it.

I am looking to build an 18" calling rifle. Purpose will be fur bearing predators in the southeast, coyotes, bobcats and the very occasional fox. Ive got some components in mind but also have a few questions.

1-With an 18" barrel, what length gas block/system do I need or is preferred?

2-Caliber. I am restricted to factory offerings for the time being. For an 18" barrel for the purpose of a calling rifle (saving fur) what do I need to be considering? I do not mind the boring ol .223 at all. But should I be considering a 22 nosler? I know I would lose performance with a .204 at 18", but is that a viable option?

Side Charge upper (non reciprocating, right side, not sure of mfg)
18" Standard contour
JP handguard (maybe)
Havent decided on a lower, but will be upgrading to a better trigger most likely.

Looking to build this as a compact varminter. Id like to accuracy to take shots out to 300, but the reality is this will be a 200 yard fur gun.

What say ye?

Jake

Last edited:
Since you are stuck with factory ammo I would say your best bet is a 223. I would recommend a BHW barrel from Ritch Johnson he is a sponsor on here.

Originally Posted By: zr600Since you are stuck with factory ammo I would say your best bet is a 223. I would recommend a BHW barrel from Ritch Johnson he is a sponsor on here.

x2. If you're using factory ammo, .223 is definitely the way to go. It's gonna be a lot easier on your wallet, plus there are a lot more options available in .223, so it should be fairly easy to find a flavor that your rifle likes.

As far as gas system is concerned, for max reliability, you're gonna want to go with a mid-length gas system. Rifle gas on an 18" barrel can be a little on the finicky side.

Even if you gotta pinch the pennies for a while, don't be afraid to spend a little extra on a good trigger and glass. Besides the barrel, those are the 2 things that will make an AR really shine.

Ive got a 223 18" Ar ive used for just about everything.
This is the barrel im using.
http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38007/32764

It shoots everything from 40gr Vmax to 53gr Nosler to 80gr bergers great, but never shot a factory round thru it so thats not much help.

Took a doe last year with a 77gr TMK from 520 yards.
It has the rifle length gas system with a adjustable gas block but i only shoot it suppressed so i just used that to fine tune it.

Ive never messed with the side charging uppers so im no help there.

Trigger id suggest a Velocity or hyperfire for single stage or laure MBT if you want a 2 stage.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanIve got a 223 18" Ar ive used for just about everything.
This is the barrel im using.
http://ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38007/32764

It shoots everything from 40gr Vmax to 53gr Nosler to 80gr bergers great, but never shot a factory round thru it so thats not much help.

Took a doe last year with a 77gr TMK from 520 yards.
It has the rifle length gas system with a adjustable gas block but i only shoot it suppressed so i just used that to fine tune it.

Ive never messed with the side charging uppers so im no help there.

Trigger id suggest a Velocity or hyperfire for single stage or laure MBT if you want a 2 stage.

Im thinking about getting one these barrels for my next AR build. Im stuck between the AR 15 performance barrel and the Puritan 16.5" 5R barrel from patriot ordinance.

I run a Mid length gas system with a 18/20" tube, with a Spartan side charger and its is the smoothest upper I have ever run.

Thanks for the replies. I really like what I am seeing from At-15 performance. Maybe they would send me one of those barrels without the threads and a target crown instead. Just don't have a need for the threading.

If that's the barrel you want just throw a thread protector, flash hider or linear comp. He does barrels in batches so getting a target crown if at all would take awhile.

Originally Posted By: JakeMThanks for the replies. I really like what I am seeing from At-15 performance. Maybe they would send me one of those barrels without the threads and a target crown instead. Just don't have a need for the threading.

I would get the threaded barrel. You can put a flash hider on it to protect your barrel crown and you will more than likely end up purchasing a suppressor. Why not ?????? If you want you could use a screw on thread protector also for a clean look if that's a concern.

I have several builds with AR Performance barrels and the last was a 6.5 Grendel with a rifle length gas system. It is a sweet shooting AR with an adjustable gas block and suppressor.

You may not have noticed but ARP threads their .223 barrels 5/8x24. That may help with barrel harmonics with a can screwed on as apposed to the standard 1/2x28 that you will find on most .223 barrels.

Since you are doing a build you might as well go with an adjustable gas block also and you will be suppressor ready if needed.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=124

Last edited:
Doesn't seem that ARP offers an 18" barrel with a mid-length gas system. Sirplus ammo does have some BHW barrels ready to ship.

I actually don't plan to go with a suppressor at any time in the near future. Just out of my finances and therefore an adjustable gas block is not necessary. I realize their may be benefits but I have to keep this at 1k including glass. Not real easy.

Jake

I'd get an adjustable gas block anyway. They are cheap and will really help you tune for a load if it shoots really well but doesn't give the best ejection. I wouldn't be afraid of an BHW barrel. I've had several (8-10) and never had one that wouldn't shoot better than I could.

Adjustable gas blocks aren't just for use with a suppressor.

Get reasonably priced handguard, barrel, and trigger, get a cheap stock, forged upper and lower, and an inexpensive LPK, and leave yourself about $200-250 for rings and optics and it's pretty easy to sneak under $1000. A guy can do well with a mil-spec trigger + JP Yellow springs + 38cent set screw under the trigger to save a lot of money on the trigger as well.

The top two rifles here were built for $1099 and $1011 respectively, including a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x40mm which isn't pictured on the top rifle. Both of these use Blackhole Weaponry barrels, and both have JP adjustable gas blocks. One is a mil-spec + JP + Set screw, the other is a Rock River NM 2 stage + JP yellows.

F79B57CA-AE45-47D8-903E-7729134C5EEE_zpsnnuc1ivk.jpg

Last edited:
Back