Live round stuck in chamber

dan158

I left my AR inside the case and in the car.. Temps got real hot and windows up in the car.. Went to rifle range and when opened the case up I could just feel the heat come off the AR.

Anyway I loaded a few rounds into the magazine and let the bolt release slam a round into the chamber.. Pulled trigger and a light click I heard.. I grabbed the bolt to eject the shell and it would not budge.. Had to tap the bolt with my ammo case to get it to come out of the chamber.. Tried another round and same thing.. Never had an issue before..

I figured it was from the AR being in the car at baking hot heat.. So I let it cool down for about 5 minutes and chambered a shell and then ejected it... All was good to go.. I tried the ones that was stuck previous and they too eject just fine..

Anyone else had this happen before?? Dan

\The bullets was not in the car.. They was a fresh new batch taken out of house and straight to the range to fire..

Last edited:
The only time I had a similar incident was when I had finished a local high speed match, thought the weapon was clear and the round had stuck in the chamber due to powder debris and the bolts extractor had ridden over the rim of the brass and not ejected the round when I pulled the bolt carrier back manually..My mistake was not visually checking for an empty chamber before placing it in the gun case or at the range..That's never happened again...I wound up replacing the extractor the next day..

It shouldn't do that at all. You can leave your AR baking in a hot car all day long and it'll never get anywhere close to the temps AR's are designed to operate. I would suspect a really tight chamber, a really dirty chamber, an out-of-spec round, or some combination of the above.

The only time i have seen that is when the weapon isn't clean.

The heat can cause residue in there to get Gooey. But, for normal operations, I can confidently tell you that ARs work just fine in HOT weather that Penn. State doesn't get to. My m4,m16 worked fine in places were you would have to wear gloves to even hold the thing. in both dry heat, and humidity that leaves you pruned. Extreme heat just requires you to clean and a light residue of lube afterwards.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZThe only time i have seen that is when the weapon isn't clean.

The heat can cause residue in there to get Gooey.

2nd the dirty issue. I've seen it with AR's put away dirty in the safe in the house with a round chambered and weeks later they are stuck.

Chamber flags. You'll never again put one away with a round in the chamber. I use them all the time. Its just a safety measure that makes me and others around me feel more comfortable whilst moving or handling the gun at the range.

Last edited:
Gave the chamber a good cleaning and got some crud out of the chamber. I believe last time I shot it I forgot to wipe off the case lube off all the brass.. So I would guess that was the problem.. Thanks all.. Dan

Steel cases will do that as well. The shellac will goo up and get grabbed in the chamber, especially a high quality, tight chamber.

I would keep it good and clean until it loosens up a bit from breaking in.

Barrel nut to tight causing pressure on barrel is what i discovered when my first case stuck, couldn't get case out / drive out. broke barrel loose with cheater pipe thought was going to break gun, case popped right out. gun runs fine now, a plus is not running a dry chamber also. My experience.
Regards, JW

Originally Posted By: pweeBarrel nut to tight causing pressure on barrel is what i discovered when my first case stuck, couldn't get case out / drive out. broke barrel loose with cheater pipe thought was going to break gun, case popped right out. gun runs fine now, a plus is not running a dry chamber also. My experience.
Regards, JW

barrel nut too tight? I don't think so.

Back