Gun Violence??????

Originally Posted By: GCHouser, sorry to hear of that. Had to be a scary time for your family, really glad your son survived.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

I'm not a huge fan of the NRA but that's just my opinion but I do agree with Wayne LaPierre. We have tons of guns laws right now, the problem is they don't enforce them. If a firearm is involved in a crime the bad guy needs his azz in jail. Period! No probation, no breaks. Go directly to jail and do not pass go! But thats just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Houser in NCIn August 2016 my 32 year old son was a victim of a home break-in in an upscale neighborhood of Atlanta. He had worked all night and got home around noon. He had just laid down to sleep when he heard a loud noise. . My son retrieved his pistol from the nightstand and held it toward the bedroom door. A person stepped into his room, saw my son on the bed and immediately pulled the trigger. My son didn't have time to identify the target because he has lots of friends that drop by anytime. The guy fired 1 shot hitting my son in the right hand, right forearm and upper right chest. The bullet exited his upper back. My son did fire his pistol but I think was a reflex action. His shot hit right above the door.

The guy then robbed the house of all mobile electronics, his pistol and left my son on the bed for dead. Luckily my son had a strong will to survive and crawled to the road where a motorist stopped and called police.

He was so lucky that he was transported to Grady Trauma Center in Atlanta where he received care from some of the best doctors in the world. GOD also had his hand on him that day. He was in ICU for a week and a half then released after a couple more days. He still has some surgeries that needs to be done. Nerves were damaged in his hand and forearm. Part of his collar bone was blown out by the bullet and will have to be repaired.

They finally caught the bad guy after a few weeks. He was tied to six other armed robberies in 3 different counties surrounding Atlanta. So far he is still in jail and hasn't gone to trial.

The guy is 21 years old and lived with his mama. He also used an AK-47 style rifle to shoot my son.

Do I blame the gun because my son was almost killed? NO I DO NOT!! The gun was just the tool. The guy's violent acts were all his decisions and I hope he gets more than what's coming to him.

I wish that my son had done things differently but we can only learn from the experience and stay prepared for anything, anytime, anywhere.

Well stated sir. It was hard to hear about your family's trauma, but I am glad that he survived. Thank you for sharing your story, it was a tough lesson that we can all take something away from.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: Houser in NCIn August 2016 my 32 year old son was a victim of a home break-in in an upscale neighborhood of Atlanta. He had worked all night and got home around noon. He had just laid down to sleep when he heard a loud noise. . My son retrieved his pistol from the nightstand and held it toward the bedroom door. A person stepped into his room, saw my son on the bed and immediately pulled the trigger. My son didn't have time to identify the target because he has lots of friends that drop by anytime. The guy fired 1 shot hitting my son in the right hand, right forearm and upper right chest. The bullet exited his upper back. My son did fire his pistol but I think was a reflex action. His shot hit right above the door.

The guy then robbed the house of all mobile electronics, his pistol and left my son on the bed for dead. Luckily my son had a strong will to survive and crawled to the road where a motorist stopped and called police.

He was so lucky that he was transported to Grady Trauma Center in Atlanta where he received care from some of the best doctors in the world. GOD also had his hand on him that day. He was in ICU for a week and a half then released after a couple more days. He still has some surgeries that needs to be done. Nerves were damaged in his hand and forearm. Part of his collar bone was blown out by the bullet and will have to be repaired.

They finally caught the bad guy after a few weeks. He was tied to six other armed robberies in 3 different counties surrounding Atlanta. So far he is still in jail and hasn't gone to trial.

The guy is 21 years old and lived with his mama. He also used an AK-47 style rifle to shoot my son.

Do I blame the gun because my son was almost killed? NO I DO NOT!! The gun was just the tool. The guy's violent acts were all his decisions and I hope he gets more than what's coming to him.

I wish that my son had done things differently but we can only learn from the experience and stay prepared for anything, anytime, anywhere.

Well stated sir. It was hard to hear about your family's trauma, but I am glad that he survived. Thank you for sharing your story, it was a tough lesson that we can all take something away from.

You're welcome. Hope that will help someone avoid what we went through.

Gun violence? No, it's not.
It's about respect for other people and being jealous of what you have and them wanting it, to take it without working for it by means of whatever tool is at hand. Be it a rock, bat, pipe, hammer or whatever.

Houser, I'm very glad your son is going to be all right and sorry what this azzhole put you and your family through. May he get his rightful punishment!! I would like to ask you though, How does your son feel about firearms now? Has this changed his thoughts any? Does he still feel it wasn't the firearms fault? Just asking for my own curiosity, nothing more!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogHouser, I'm very glad your son is going to be all right and sorry what this azzhole put you and your family through. May he get his rightful punishment!! I would like to ask you though, How does your son feel about firearms now? Has this changed his thoughts any? Does he still feel it wasn't the firearms fault? Just asking for my own curiosity, nothing more!

The ordeal hasn't changed his view on firearms. Matter of fact, while he was still in ICU with the breathing tube still in, we communicated with the use of a dry erase board. He asked me to get him another handgun and of course I did. We had it transferred at a nice range down there and he received free range time for doing the transfer there. He and some friends have been shooting several times at the range since.

He has also been home a few times since that day and we have shot at my home range. He does pretty well but that right arm is weaker than it was.

He told me just recently, "I'm not losing again"

Last edited:
Good for your son! On topic, the intruder in this case could have been armed with any number of instruments. He could have had a screwdriver, pry bar, kitchen knife, poker from the fireplace, ball bat or golf club he picked up in the house he was burglarizing. This guy was obviously a violent individual that had zero compassion for human life and didn't hesitate to murder (failed thank goodness) for what ever arm load of electronics, ect. that he could hustle out of the house with. That is an evil person, not so the tool he used in his crime. Legislation doesn't stop this guy. If woken from sleep by this guy coming through your door I'm betting you could recite every law he has broken and he's not going to lay down his weapon and surrender while he hangs his head and sheepishly mutters "sorry." Rather than the state statues of law in hand, I'll have Smith & Wesson.

Sorry for your family's ordeal and prayers for complete and speedy recovery for your son.

Your son's ordeal points out just what a disadvantage the homeowner has in a breakin. The bad guy knows that anyone he encounters in the home is not a "friendly" but the homeowner must hesitate long enough for a positive identification.

Regards,
hm

I bet your very proud of him. He's a hero in a sense. Good for him!!! If there ever is a next time, I would bet the intruder won't be as lucky as the first. But I truly hope there is no a "next time".

Yes, I am proud of him. He did do the right thing.
I'm still amazed that he made it to the road. His wounds would be best described as un- freaking- believable and that he lived.

I've gone over that scenario a thousand times in my mind and it's easy for someone to look back and say what they'd do but I'd never know for sure until I was in that situation.

Originally Posted By: Houser in NCYes, I am proud of him. He did do the right thing.
I'm still amazed that he made it to the road. His wounds would be best described as un- freaking- believable and that he lived.

I've gone over that scenario a thousand times in my mind and it's easy for someone to look back and say what they'd do but I'd never know for sure until I was in that situation.

Good for him, and you, for having such a great can do attitude. THAT is probably what got him through such a trial. I hope they drop that scum bag down a deep, dark hole in North Korea.

Originally Posted By: Houser in NCOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: Houser in NCIn August 2016 my 32 year old son was a victim of a home break-in in an upscale neighborhood of Atlanta. He had worked all night and got home around noon. He had just laid down to sleep when he heard a loud noise. . My son retrieved his pistol from the nightstand and held it toward the bedroom door. A person stepped into his room, saw my son on the bed and immediately pulled the trigger. My son didn't have time to identify the target because he has lots of friends that drop by anytime. The guy fired 1 shot hitting my son in the right hand, right forearm and upper right chest. The bullet exited his upper back. My son did fire his pistol but I think was a reflex action. His shot hit right above the door.

You're welcome. Hope that will help someone avoid what we went through.

Gun violence? No, it's not.
It's about respect for other people and being jealous of what you have and them wanting it, to take it without working for it by means of whatever tool is at hand. Be it a rock, bat, pipe, hammer or whatever.

Houser, thank you for sharing a real world story that would be tough for some people to share, and thank you to you and your son for your positive attitudes towards the situation after what had to have been a very harrowing personal experience for all of you. I wish him the very best in his recovery. Sharing things like this give the rest of us positive perspective from someone who's been there.

Originally Posted By: GCA good start would be to quit calling it "gun violence" because it isn't. As you said, the gun is just a tool the same as automobiles, knives, hammers, baseball bats, golf clubs, poisons, and even airplanes. It's people violence - period. Fix the political nut jobs, psychopaths, religious fanatics, greedy, jealousy, money whores, dopers, certain cultures, ect. and the problem goes away. It's a societal issue, not a tool issue.

+1

Well said!

Since Adam, we have all been flawed!

NOT politically correct, we are in a Spiritual battle.

PICK

Last edited:
Back