Nikon Prostaff 5 4.4-18x40 or 3.5-14x40 on .204 Ruger

Originally Posted By: Willy BrotzOriginally Posted By: Lefty SRHThat ballistic data runs real close to my .223 data I use in the field.
600yds with 3550fps at the muzzle
Drop -64.5"
Wind 10mph @ 9 oclock 36.8"
Velocity at 600yds is 1794fps
Energy 379 ft/lbs
TOF .718

You really got that 53 vmax cruising. That speed is almost 100 fps faster than the superformance factory load. Which is 3465 or so. You put that 53 vmax in a 22-250 bolt gun with hand loads and that should outrun these pretty easily.

I dont have a 22-250 YET, lol. I hope to have one maybe in the next year or so. Its just not real high on my need list. My three .223 rifles cover me pretty well and if I really need some horse power and longrange I Have a custom built 22-243 Winchester slingin 75gr Amax. So the "need" for a 22-250 just isnt there, but it is a "want".
I wish Remington made the SPS-varmint with a 1:12 twist barrel.

I.hunt, again I didnt mean to hijack your thread but it happens sometimes.
Between the two scopes you are asking about Id say compare them side bynside and pick which ever seems most clear to you. Personally Id also choose the one that has parallax adjustment. It helps when you are out that far.

I got ya, wasn't here to debate anything just wanted info on the Nikons, we all have our own opinions and that's ok, I usually shoot my .17hmr for Groundhogs out to 200, got the .204 to fill in the gap out to that 500-600 gap. I shoot my Bushmaster Predator quite a bit for a .223 out to about 400 no issues use it for everything from Groundhogs to Coyotes, just wanted the .204 to play around more and I do believe IMO it is better than the .223 out further.

How many loads are you getting out of your brass @ 3550? That is about what I am getting from my 223AI with 53 vmax.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHCoyoteZ, the bullet is a 53gr Vmax and the velocity is not a typo. It averages 3550fps, these are my handloads.

Just curious, what powder and what is your barrel length? Those velocities are smoking for a 223.

Originally Posted By: whyHow many loads are you getting out of your brass @ 3550? That is about what I am getting from my 223AI with 53 vmax.

Still on my first set set of Lapua brass. They have 6-7 forings so far if I remeber correctly.

Originally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: Lefty SRHCoyoteZ, the bullet is a 53gr Vmax and the velocity is not a typo. It averages 3550fps, these are my handloads.

Just curious, what powder and what is your barrel length? Those velocities are smoking for a 223.

Its a 26" factory Remington barrel. Powder is Benchmark.

Originally Posted By: Lefty SRHOriginally Posted By: coyotezapperOriginally Posted By: Lefty SRHCoyoteZ, the bullet is a 53gr Vmax and the velocity is not a typo. It averages 3550fps, these are my handloads.

Its a 26" factory Remington barrel. Powder is Benchmark.

Think CFE can get you into the 3600+ ??

Either one should work nicely. I own several Nikons and they are good scopes minus the newer buck masters scope. I have a coyote special 4.5-14x40 on my Hawkeye 22-250 that works well. My first coyote with it was almost 300 yards out and no problems. A part of me wishes it had a different reticle but I'm getting used to this one.

I have run the Prostaff 5 4.5-18x40 mil-dot scope on a 6.5 Creedmore with no problems out to 500 yards. Nice scope for a reasonable price.

Back