Difference Between V-Max and Z-Max Bullets

Originally Posted By: coyotezapperI think that its obvious that calling Hornady is not the answer here. From the picture it is obvious they are 2 completely different bullets.

Also, the Z-Max bullets have been out a few years now. I have had a 500 count box of 17 cal 20 grain sitting on my shelf for years - I'm thinking 2012.

That is because the picture was never comparing the same VMax and ZMax...As stated years ago, the picture is an apple to oranges comparison.

Once again and for always...the VMax and the ZMax are identical sans tip color alone.

I've personally had great luck with the zmax in 17, 20, 22, and 6mm. I can't claim very many coyote kills with them but plenty of smaller stuff and lots of paper. I doubt every box shoots the same as vmax due to lot-to-lot variances. I will continue to be a buyer when I need them.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: coyotezapperI think that its obvious that calling Hornady is not the answer here. From the picture it is obvious they are 2 completely different bullets.

Also, the Z-Max bullets have been out a few years now. I have had a 500 count box of 17 cal 20 grain sitting on my shelf for years - I'm thinking 2012.

That is because the picture was never comparing the same VMax and ZMax...As stated years ago, the picture is an apple to oranges comparison.

Once again and for always...the VMax and the ZMax are identical sans tip color alone.

Clarify what is in the picture then. Your post on the picture describes the differences shown but then you say that the picture is not correct. They look to be the same length which should make them around the same weight??? I am only going by the picture.

Thanks slick...it seems reading comprehension is a lost art.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760

There is a canelure in this picture. These are not, by design, the same bullets. They are not a VMax to ZMax comparison.

Here are some 50 gr VMax vs ZMax. Same-Same

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Thanks slick...it seems reading comprehension is a lost art.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760

There is a canelure in this picture. These are not, by design, the same bullets. They are not a VMax to ZMax comparison.

Here are some 50 gr VMax vs ZMax. Same-Same

Finally a picture that actually shows the comparison unlike that poorly described picture above.

Last edited:
You claimed your stance with this nonsense. The manufacturer will give you the correct information, not some nonsense...especially when loading characteristics are involved.

Originally Posted By: coyotezapperI think that its obvious that calling Hornady is not the answer here. From the picture it is obvious they are 2 completely different bullets.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760You claimed your stance with this nonsense. The manufacturer will give you the correct information, not some nonsense...especially when loading characteristics are involved.

The original picture posted did not concur with Hornady's answer to the question so why post it to begin with?? My statement was made by looking at the original picture which had nothing to do with the thread. The only picture that should have been posted was the second one.

Last edited:
Back