Hog Calling with Foxpro

daddyflea

I have called in a few hogs myself but in most cases I think it is just plain curiosity. Most responded to Rabbit sounds

Anybody had any real success and which sounds did you use?

I guess this kinda settles the question on calling Hogs. I don't think Hogs respond to calls other than just curiosity. In my experience I played Rabbit sounds and had several respond. Maybe curiosity maybe they wanted to eat the Rabbit. In any case Hog sounds do not seem to attract Hogs.

I have called in consistently Javelina in AZ with Jack rabbit distress. For some reason if they are close by they come blazing in.
If you call one in, you can't shoot it since you need a lottery tag to shoot them.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI have called in consistently Javelina in AZ with Jack rabbit distress. For some reason if they are close by they come blazing in.
If you call one in, you can't shoot it since you need a lottery tag to shoot them.

Strange, we have lots of javelina and have never had one (or a hog for that matter) come to a call. Others tell me they have had hogs come to rabbit distress occasionally.

Only tried a hog call on visible hogs once, just for grins. Had just set up on water hole when a large sounder approached so decided to play piglet distress. Got pretty dicey for a few seconds; the sounder bolted away from call and ran directly toward me! I figured some of the sows would have gone to the aid of the young'un...........wrong!
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Those sounds can be put on a foxpro.

I have had sows come charging in to rabbit distress on foxpro. No doubt they were coming to the call. They were mad and 4 sows were hard charging to the call.

I have also had javalina come charging in to rabbit on foxpro in Arizona. Stop the call and the javalina would leave. Turn it back on and right back they came and we were in the wide open in the truck.

Quote:I have also had javalina come charging in to rabbit on foxpro in Arizona. Stop the call and the javalina would leave. Turn it back on and right back they came and we were in the wide open in the truck.

Have you ever had javelina come to the call in S. Tx., Sean?

Just wondering if I have a strange clan of javelina down south?
Earlier I said I had never called a javelina; thinking back over the years I did have one single and a small herd that might have come to the call, but the herd, I think was more likely just passing by. In both instances, they did show an interest in the movement of the decoy, come to think of it. The single actually grabbed my decoy on the run in passing. He spit it out just as I was taking up 1st stage on my trigger.
lol.gif

I am just wondering if it is a geographical area thing (AZ vs TX)or that it just depends on proximity of the critter at the time and their mood at the moment?

Regards,
hm

Sorry Guys but to me Javalina and Wild Hogs are two very different animals.

I would like to try Guess calls but you can not get them in a Format for FoxPro.

I have had them come to Rabbit sounds but it seems to be a Regional thing. Places I am hunting now, they do not respond to anything.

I have watched the hog calling videos by Glenn Guess/Convergent and it is evident that hogs will come to certain hog sounds. Don't know if it is a territorial type response, sexual/breeding attraction, curiosity, or what, but they definitely came to his call sounds all fired up.

Over the years and on several occasions I have seen a group of hogs chasing what appeared to be a sow in heat. Those hogs were very noisy, squealing, grunting, and carrying on and could be heard a fairly long ways off. If you could record or replicate that sound, I am guessing any hog within hearing would respond.

I have a fairly new Foxpro Fusion and have all of their hog sounds on it, but haven't tried it yet. I am waiting for the right situation to test the hog sounds when I am fairly confident there are hogs within hearing distance.

Are there any other good recorded hog sounds available?

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dave1I have watched the hog calling videos by Glen Guess/Convergent and it is evident that hogs will come to certain hog sounds. Don't know if it is a territorial type response, sexual/breeding attraction, curiosity, or what, but they definitely came to his call sounds all fired up.

Over the years I have on several occasions seen a group of hogs chasing what appeared to be a sow in heat. Those hogs were very noisy, squealing, grunting, and carrying on and could be heard a fairly long ways off. If you could record or replicate that sound, I am guessing any hog within hearing would respond.

I have a fairly new Foxpro Fusion and have all of their hog sounds on it, but haven't tried it yet. I am waiting for the right situation to test the call/sounds when I am fairly confident there are hogs within hearing distance.

Is there any other good recorded hog sounds available?

Dave

I too have all the Foxpro sounds and they work great for scaring kids on Halloween but not much else. I have had Coyotes come to Pig Distress but generally Hogs will run from them

Back