Clip carry?

MPFD

Does anyone use a clip carry type method for their hand guns? I know a holster is best.. But the Techna clip intrigues me. Seems like a really easy way to carry. If I go this route, it will be without a chambered round of course or I will also be buying the kydex trigger guard. Does anybody use a clip?

I would never carry without the trigger area covered and carrying without a round chambered is pointless. If you are looking for something very convienent and extremely low profile, then check out Sticky brand holsters. As far as the clips go........my Mother always said "if you can't say anything nice" well, you know the rest.

Last edited:
No......I'm saying that it has been proven time and time again, that in most defensive shooting situations, there is no time to chamber a round or, the hand needed to do it is not available.

If you have to rack before shooting in a defensive situation, maybe you could simply ask the other guy to hold up for a second or two so you could get prepared. Just a thought.

Racking in a round is fine if you're going on the offensive to clear a building or something similar in a methodical manner. For self protection in a typical personal defense situation, having to rack the slide is not so bueno.

I don't see it being a problem, I live in rural Kansas. In a very low crime area. If I was walking down a street in Kansas City in the middle of the night... I'd have a round chambered. But 98% of the time I don't even need to carry. Honestly I will prolly be carrying it around a pond fishing loaded with snake shot, 10-1 over urban situations.

Ill throw in my .02. I would personally never carry without a round in the tube. From what I have seen, most situations do not allow enough time to chamber a round if needed. All that being said. Every man has to weigh pros and cons and make decisions based on his perceived likelihood of a threat. if you don't feel you need it, good for you. I can see MPFD's point and understand that 9 times out of 10 he wont need one in the chamber and im sure hes a bright enough guy to know when its time to rack a round into battery. its all personal preference. I carry locked and loaded because its simpler for me. I never have to ask myself if its time to chamber a round and Im not keen on the idea of taking any extra steps if the need arises

I have a problem with the attached clip only carry method...

First, your trigger is not covered and that's asking for a disaster from an accidental discharge by anything getting caught and depressing the trigger....

Second, the purpose of a holster is to secure and protect the handgun from accidental dropping and a safety system failure on impact, while most are engineered with multiple safety factors, it only takes one weird situation to be dangerous....

Third, from experience, normally, you can't out draw and fire on a subject that already has his weapon out and pointed at you, without a high degree of practice and not having the weapon immediately ready to fire is tantamount to attempting suicide...An experienced knife fighter can cover 21 feet and inflict disabling injury before a trained officer can draw and fire his weapon..

I learned a long time ago that a handgun is basically an easily carried convenient tool for last ditch self defense situations...If I knew I was going into a reported dangerous situation as a street cop, I took my shotgun...As a supervisor,. if I needed to cover one or more of my officers in the federal housing projects where a crowd was gathering, I kept a carbine size rifle in the squad car...

Originally Posted By: MPFDI don't see it being a problem, I live in rural Kansas. In a very low crime area.

I live in a low crime area too but you never know what might happen. These days and times an incident could happen anywhere.

We train our skills to handle the severity of the situation. We do not count on the situation's severity to come down to our skill level. This can leave you wanting when it counts.

Personally, a good holster is as important as the gun. Get a good quality holster and train with it as much as you possibly can so that it becomes second nature. I tend to stay away from gimmicky gear in favor of tried and true designs.

I simply see no advantage of the clip versus a regular holster. My IWB is on me when my pants go on...then if I am leaving the house, I simply holster at that time. I guess I am missing how it is "convenient?" I also will never even consider carrying without a chambered round...that has been proven problematic countless times.

You don't need it till you do. By then it will probably be to late. Always carry holstered and one in the pipe.

You could ask SteveM about carrying without a holster....if he were still alive. And he was a police officer who knew better.

Holster and ready to rock for me. An unloaded gun is just another blunt object.

Decide what is best for you and carry that way all the time, then you can train for it and not have to do any extra "thinking" when the time comes.

I have a clip on 1 of my compacts, use a pocket sleeve style for my pocket pistol. Both rarely leave the house anymore, new state and I haven't gotten around to getting my CCP here yet. Keep meaning to kind of thing.

Anyway, an unloaded gun is an inconvenient rock.

Raw numbers kind of thing.

Self defense happens at the end of your fingertips. That is most people won't know that they are about to die until the person about to kill them can literally boop their nose. At best. If they get behind you and are around your neck before you know they're there, it's worse.

No bad guy is going to emerge from the end of an alley 100 yards from you and announce they're about to attack. So if a bad guy is going to grab you, stab you, shoot you, rape you, boop your nose and try to sell you amway, whatever, you have to grab your pistol,rack the slid, and go to work. If you're trying to fight off mr badguy you have to either fight, or work your pistol, or be very adept at fighting with 1 hand and racking your pistol with the other. Fighting for your life and getting a pistol out and placing shots on target is hard enough to do even if you're ready to roll and capable of being of calm mind, which almost no-one is don't let the stories fool you into thinking otherwise.

Every panic situation training I've ever been part of always leaves out 1 common element. Panic. One of my favorite Mike Tyson quotes, and I could be totally giving credit where none is due, is this. "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." Seen it, a lot. All the planning in the world, all the training in the world, can and will fall on its face in the event of the situation actually happening. I used to be a trained competitive fighter. I worked out with guys that were excellent of the floor, could do routines with their eyes closed, had perfect planning, and they would instantly go to pieces the first time they took one in the ribs. It takes a LOT of getting kicked in the ribs to shrug it off and keep working.

24 feet is the 'danger zone' (thank you kenny loggins for that being stuck in my head now). So 24 feet is the amount of ground an average man can cover in the time it takes for a WELL TRAINED AND READY POLICEMAN to draw his sidearm from a level 1 holster and place 1 shot on target. Those studies were done on cops in their usual uniform, knowing that they were being studied for something (no real ammo is a tipoff). At 24 feet they could on average get a shot off, inside they pretty much all had to buy amway brand toilet paper for life. It was a really F'd up study.

If you see me get out of my car and draw it's not because I'm planning to use the pistol. It's because I want to buy myself 10 feet of thinking time if things are about to go bad.

Action beats reaction, every time. I've drawn from a level 1 (that's belt mounted with only a thumb break) holster roughly 290 bajillion times. I started and ended my career with the same holster so I was well versed in it. Compared to drawing from any concealment holster I've ever compared it too is like comparing light speed to how fast your average 20 year old man makes an appointment to have his prostate checked by an extremely ugly and large fingered doctor.

For your average person with a concealed firearm that danger zone is a looooooot larger. Add chambering a round into that and you're zone is longer still.

Also fun fact, if you're facing a threat and decide to pull the trigger, the threat has enough time between you starting the pull and the gun discharging to turn around and be shot in the back, before you have enough time to acknowledge this and stop pulling the trigger. If you ever end up in court, might be handy to know. You didn't shoot a guy running away from you, he just got shot in the back. There's a difference.

What else can I rant about before I get off my soapbox... thinking, thinking.

Ok SD calibers start at 380acp with premium bullets(bare minimum and bigger is better).

Lasers are fun to play with your cat, but at SD ranges are slow to use. Faster than irons but TBH at SD ranges no sights are necessary.

Your grouping at 50 yards doesn't come into play, at all. Again end of your fingertips.

And of course keep your booger hook of the loud button until its time to make noise. Follow that 1 rule and the others don't really matter that much.

And I'm done ruffling feathers for a bit
laugh.gif
Time for lunch.

Originally Posted By: MPFD As to carrying unchambered being pointless... So your saying if you have to rack the slide you would rather be without a gun?... I doubt that.

Lots of good things to think about here. As for the original question posed above, I guess I'll go ahead and post my initial thought from a few days ago when I first saw it.

Yes, you'll likely be better off without a gun. If you have no gun, a perp will shoot you. If you have a gun that needs the slide racked on it, the perp will shoot you AND steal your gun.

Originally Posted By: MPFDAs stated above it would be in conjunction with a trigger guard...
such as this: http://shop.brownells.com/shooting-acces...CFdC4wAodPW0J-w

As to carrying unchambered being pointless... So your saying if you have to rack the slide you would rather be without a gun?... I doubt that.

I agree with this. I've used a MIC holster (same concept as the link above) and retention isn't very good. But a trigger cover with lanyard combined with clip on the slide would have you covered.

Back