Nightforce SHV?

Tgunz64

Been eying up the SHV 4-14x50 ff1 and wondering if any of you guys have one and how do you like it? At $1250 I'm a little hesitant to buy it but still want a great scope to put on either my 26 nosler or a future 6.5 creedmoor rifle. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Have you looked at one in person? I'm eyeing the 5-20 myself. I want more power. If you like first focal plane I think it would be a goo scope for you. I'm guessing by the two calipers you mentioned you are looking at doing some long range hunting/shooting. I think it would be a great scope, just remember these scopes aren't light or small. They are designed to take a beating they have the same body as an nxs just different turrets and there not sumergeable like the nxs.

The SHV line of scopes are awesome! I personally dont care for FFP scope for the hunting I do. But Nonetheless SHV scopes are great!

Thanks for the info. Haven't seen one yet personally as no one around where I live tend to carry them. Got a couple other models I'd like to compare side by side but again no one seems to stock scopes here in those price ranges.

Originally Posted By: Tgunz64Thanks for the info. Haven't seen one yet personally as no one around where I live tend to carry them. Got a couple other models I'd like to compare side by side but again no one seems to stock scopes here in those price ranges.

Try and look thru one before you buy, of coarse. But if you camt then try and order from Brownells, just dont mount it to your rifle. IF you dont like it you can send it back, no questions asked. I had a brand new 3-15x56 NXS layed aside a for custom build. I changed my mind and called them to see if I could send it back for an exchange/upgrade. They gave me NO HASSLE.
Just another route to get what you want with a guarantee you will be happy in the end.

I live north of Duluth. The nearest Cabelas is 3 hours away in Woodbury by the twin cities. I looked the different brands/models I'm interested in looking at and they have the shv but don't stock the Burris xtr I'm interested in and the vortex pst gen 2 aren't at dealers yet. So it may be a while. My 26 nosler currently has a vortex viper hs 4-16x44 so it's not like I'm hurting for a scope. Btw I haven't even shot it yet lol

I do believe the Burris veracity is the same glass as the xtrii so if they carry that it will give you a good look. Also maybe check out the athlon ares. I have looked through a xtrii and pst 1st gen next to each other and couldn't see much of a difference but the xtrii was a little better. I think the night force is nicer then the xtrii and far better then the pst gen 1.

I'm looking at a nightforce shv as well. Our local scheels carries a couple models surprisingly since southern mn is cheap scope capital usa. Everyone thinks they really splurged and broke the bank when they buy a 150 dollar vortex for their Remington 700. Most people tip over when i tell them the scope I'm looking at getting costs a grand.

Same near Duluth. People spend $200 on a scope and think they can zoom in like the Hubble. Gander Mt used to sell higher end stuff but eventually backed off a lot on them. At least around here. Also most stores around here don't even sell the nicer line of rifles. Example: Hawkeyes, X Bolts, weatherby, tikka, sako, etc. Its mostly Ruger Americans and savage axis. Don't get me wrong I own a couple Americans, and they shoot nice. But I'd rather have a hawkeye or something else nicer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tgunz64Well lefty I've never had a ffp scope and it's intriguing to want to try one out.

If you are not using the reticle to range then FFP doesn't really do anything for you. The idea is that you can use the reticles subtensions, {whatever they are, Mil-dots. etc.} at any power setting.
As to the SHV, I have one. I have the 5-20 model with the lit reticle, I like it. It is a heavy scope so you have to have decent rings and bases. I was disappointed at first with the low light performance, but when I adjusted the power, focus and eyepiece it dialed right in to an optimum for low light. I was pretty surprised with what I was able to see in the extreme last minutes of daylight. I will say this, you would have to go with an expensive European scope to have better low light performance. Best of you somehow mark the settings at optimum so you can easily dial it in when hunting.
I also have a Vortex and the glass does not compare. It's not a bad scope and it tracks and hold zero fine, it's just not my first choice for hunting in low light.

Back