80g Berger fb

hunter243sgk

Awhile back i posted on AS that i was going to test the 80g Bergers in my 243ai. Ackleyman told me to run them with Rl 19. So i did and i got very good accuracy with book max. But when i got above that accuracy went south fast. Also at 2 1/2 grains above max i had pressure signs and was at only at a bit over 3400 fps. So now i am going to try h414 and imr 4166. Has anybody else used these powders? And is it just me or are these bullets not very explosive for a so call varmint bullet? When i tested them they shot through my 3/4 plywood target and through a 6" tree behind it.

I'm using Superformance in my 26" 6mm rem with an 80 gr Barnes. I get same hole accuracy and 3800 fps. It is a Max load...

Pretty hard for bullets be explosive shooting wood. It is dense, unlike like fur and soft muscle tissue. A cheap test is to line up milk jugs full of water and see how many the bullet will penetrate .

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: reddog964I would be using RL 17 not RL 19... JMO

Me too...or RL 16 even

RL 16 is something I have not played with. but I know what RL 17 can and will do in more than one caliber... 6.5x47L, 243win, 6x47L, 22br, 22-243win and 17-204 with the 25/30gr bullets... Now I remember why I have about 50#s of it sitting here..
wink.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: reddog964Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: reddog964I would be using RL 17 not RL 19... JMO

Me too...or RL 16 even

RL 16 is something I have not played with. but I know what RL 17 can and will do in more than one caliber... 6.5x47L, 243win, 6x47L, 22br, 22-243win and 17-204 with the 25/30gr bullets... Now I remember why I have about 50#s of it sitting here..
wink.gif
wink.gif

I have not yet either, but with the reports I have seen with it in comparison to RL-17 it looks like a good option.

I havent tried rl 16 or 17. I dont even know much about 16. But i have high hopes for the 4166. It should give me the speed i want if i can just get the accuracy i need. Thanks to all for the advise.!

According to QL 4166 is not a good match but if you want to try it then that's your call. QL does show RL16, RL17, H414 as good candidates with a fill ratio around 91-92% depending actual case capacity. QL also shows H4350 and Ramshot Hunter to be ideal with fill ratios in the upper 90's with Hunter being the best.

As far as the Berger 80, this bullet is ridiculously accurate and one of Berger's best IMO.

Originally Posted By: coyotezapperAccording to QL 4166 is not a good match but if you want to try it then that's your call. QL does show RL16, RL17, H414 as good candidates with a fill ratio around 91-92% depending actual case capacity. QL also shows H4350 and Ramshot Hunter to be ideal with fill ratios in the upper 90's with Hunter being the best.

As far as the Berger 80, this bullet is ridiculously accurate and one of Berger's best IMO. I really do not know how good it will do. But i do very much thank you for taking the time to run it through QL. I dont have QL but i have got a couple of friends who do on the AS forum. The only reason i am trying it for this caliber ( i got it to try in the 223) is that in the 2015 Hodgons magazine it is listed as one of the fastest in the 243. And yes you are right that bullet is very accurate. I did get great accuracy with the book max using rl19. But i believe i can run it faster with h414 or 4166 and as good or better accuracy. Thanks again for your time!!

R19, Winchester primer, 80g is pretty good.

Please, do not short change JETMAN in his load, he knows a thing or two.

IN custom 6 Rem years ago, I shot the 80g Sierra single shot pistol bullet with an over max book load of IMR 4064 at 3500 fps. Accuracy was fantastic at this speed. We massacred the coyotes with this speed and load.

Now, here comes Jetman, and his load makes us look like a light weight...better listen to him.

I am not a particular fan of the 80g berger, but everything died on the spot. My preference is a 80g Sierra Blitz BT, but this bullet does not get along with a long throat/

I shot this bullet for a short time and got great accuracy. Lots of groups in the .1 and .2s.

The first day I hunted it I shot 3 of our 7 coyotes and all of the bullets exited.

I never used it again, but wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer. I think it's perfect for that.

Originally Posted By: CZ527I shot this bullet for a short time and got great accuracy. Lots of groups in the .1 and .2s.

The first day I hunted it I shot 3 of our 7 coyotes and all of the bullets exited.

I never used it again, but wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer. I think it's perfect for that. This is what i think of them also. To a tee. I like the accuracy of them but prefer a more explosive bullet for smaller game. But i do think they would be great on deer!

Back