Stolen AR15

Rock Knocker

A friend of mine just had his AR15 topped with a nightvision scope stolen. He has an idea of who took it but can't prove it, though the sheriff went and talked to the suspect there were no leads even though the suspect now has two brand new rifles even though he is broke as a joke and didn't have the rifles last week.

My buddy didn't record the serial number and he is now trying to find out if he can get the serial number any other way. Any one know how to get a serial number once a gun has been taken?

I know it's a long shot but if anyone around here sees an AR15, Aero lower, Aero M4E1 upper, 16" Black Hole Weaponry barrel, and a dead giveaway is that my buddy used an angle grinder on the top of the handguard to get clearace for the large 56mm objective lense.

The scope was a ITT with a removable eye piece to ether put on a day lense or the nightvision eyepiece.

Also a long shot but the scope was purchased through the classifieds on this site, if you remember selling an ITT day/night scope and have any info about it like serial number send me a PM, that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help, and keep those guns safe.

The dealer should have record of the sale. We had this happen a few times when I worked at the gun shop. We could look up the sale and it had the serial numbers from the firearm. It won't help on the upper but the lower has a number.

Last edited:
my FFL dealer buddy has records of guns I bought through him 20 years ago. so if he bought them through an FFL dealer they should have records of the sale with the serial numbers.

Sounds good, he was planning on getting a hold of the FFL we used(unfortunately the shop has changed owners so that will be interesting.)

It was a lower bought from Aero then sent to a local FFL, do you think Aero Precision would be any help?

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerSounds good, he was planning on getting a hold of the FFL we used(unfortunately the shop has changed owners so that will be interesting.)

It was a lower bought from Aero then sent to a local FFL, do you think Aero Precision would be any help?

If he bought the lower from Aero it should have been invoiced to the buyer, in care of the FFL, so Aero should be able to help. I suspect that, since gun shop changed hands, the original FFL would have been required to turn his records over to ATF upon closure of his shop. Whether or not ATF could/would be of help, IDNK.

Regards,
hm

Might be a long shot but, if he ordered through aero precision maybe they have something where you can check your previous orders online, if you have to set up an account to order online, if it wasn't to long ago. It may show the serial number on the order. Just guessing. I know some places I can look at previous orders. Otherwise aero will have the record somewhere. Just gonna take talking to the right person I'm sure.

Also maybe if he paid with a credit card, his previous statements could show something?

Originally Posted By: NdIndyFfl has to turn in their logs once they shut down.

That's what I thought, but will the ATF cooperate and look up the information in a case like this?

Regards,
hm

I have had to do this a time or two for a customer. He gives me the approximate date of sale and I look up the records. Sometimes they get the date wrong and it takes a while to find the information but if everything was done according the book, the information needed is there

Back