Anyone have experience with 22 Nosler?

Centex Bill

Has anyone had hands on experience with the 22 Nosler either in the AR platform or bolt gun?

What are the upsides and downsides of this new offering? Is the increased performance worth the increased cost and limited components?

Can a 223 chamber be reamed to 22 Nosler by setting the barrel backd a thread or two.

I have a CZ 527 in 223 Remington with 22 inch barrel. I wonder could this be converted to 22 Nosler by setting the barrel back and rechambering to 22 Nosler. The 7.62x39 cartridge has a base diameter of 0.447 and the the widest diameter of the 22 Nosler is 0.420. Could a CZ527 7,62x39 magazine be made to feed the 22 Nosler.

I would think this would make a real racehorse out of a light compact rifle.

I appreciate your feedback.

Centex Bill

You could rechamber the 223. The 7.62 magazine will probably be to short but I haven't had a chance to measure one. Six millimeters in case length is quite a bit. Thise magazines are single stacked so I believe you would need the 7.62 bottom metal also if they are long enough. You may have to bend the lips in if you use the 7.62.

You might be better served with a 22 LBC if you wanted easy magazines as you can get them in a Grendel.

Greg

Last edited:
My advice would be to stick with the AR platform in a 22 Nosler. It isnt a hotrod when compared to other run of the mill bolt cartridges. However, when compared to off the shelf AR cartridges it is pretty much a speed demon and will run 50 and 55's up at 22 250 speeds with 100% reliability.

Last edited:
I converted my AR to 22 Nosler and I am tickled to death! Changed the barrel and bought a few 6.8 SPC mags.....good to go. Put a 22" WOA 1 in 12 varmint contour and the thing is an absolute tack driver. Completely exceeded my expectations. This was really introduced to create a hopped up 22 cal AR, with minimal changes. As far as a bolt gun goes....I think there are better options.

I have an Odin Works upper on a dedicated build and it is performing very well. The 1:8" twist does not handle lighter bullets like the 55 grain Ballistic Tip very well, but really hits a sweet spot in the 60 to 77 grain range. I will probably end up purchasing a separate barrel for the lighter bullets I will be using during the spring varmint season.

I was shooting the Nosler 62 grain Varmageddon rounds yesterday and had a ground squirrel pop-up at 225 yards behind the targets. I took it out with one shot to the neck.

22-Nosler-Range-sm.jpg

Eric
cool.gif

If you reload you might want to try solid copper bullets barns or noslers comming out with a 55gr.etip .The reason is the 55gr nosler is .900 inches long with your 1in8 twist it will act like a 77gr bullet.i just tried them in mime barns 50gr it was the best group of all my loads cant wait to get some 55 nosler etips to try out.plus you being out in California this is a plus for you to!

Originally Posted By: tonyjabIf you reload you might want to try solid copper bullets barns or noslers comming out with a 55gr.etip .The reason is the 55gr nosler is .900 inches long with your 1in8 twist it will act like a 77gr bullet.i just tried them in mime barns 50gr it was the best group of all my loads cant wait to get some 55 nosler etips to try out.plus you being out in California this is a plus for you to!

The E-tip is already available. I got mine from midsouth

Originally Posted By: tonyjabIf you reload you might want to try solid copper bullets barns or noslers comming out with a 55gr.etip .The reason is the 55gr nosler is .900 inches long with your 1in8 twist it will act like a 77gr bullet.i just tried them in mime barns 50gr it was the best group of all my loads cant wait to get some 55 nosler etips to try out.plus you being out in California this is a plus for you to!

Great info! Thanks!

Eric
cool.gif

Back