.223 reloading direction?

viper

I have a 16" 1-7 twist .223 bolt action I want to reload for. Of course I will coyote hunt with it but I'am looking for accuracy for target shooting. I have Lampu brass 100 rounds New but would like to see about a good powder/bullet recommendation. I can look up the charges in the book. But you guys have tons of experience and I thought you might be able to get me started in the right direction. Without me buying tons of different components.I have not bought any primers or powder yet but did get one box of Norma Ballistic tip boat tail 55 grain to try.

I've found that the 1/7 twist barrels sometimes have problems with the lighter bullet weights in the precision accuracy department..Conversely, while they tend to like the heavier bullet weights, the bullet length of the heavier bullet sometimes causes a problem in the amount of room available in the magazine..

Bolt action firearms are a little more forgiving with the heavier bullets than semi autos..

In any case, you will be better served to work up your own test loads based on published resources, rather than taking information from the internet...The combination of components that work well and are safe in one firearm may be disaster when used in yours..

My 16" 1:7 likes 68 hornady or 69 serria both HPBT. Not really made for Yotes but will knock them down pretty quick. I use Varget and a small mag primer. I load at about 23.5 to 25 grains. Of course with a 1X4.5 power scope, tiny groups are hard to get. It still shoots under an inch at 100 yards. I am sure it would be better with more scope.

Tom

Thanks guys' old turtle I would always confirm and start at the beginning loads. I just don't know much as to good powders verses bad powders. Just info like you gave means mgysgt helps knowing what to look at in the books.
If you only load for one bolt action rifle is it better to get a neck size die set? Instead of full length?

since you're handloading, you can get a lighter bullet to shoot well but you may find that they're more accurate at the lower end of the powder weight range. Push them faster & they may over stabilize. You're also likely to find that with a given bullet in your rifle, one or more powders is far more accurate than others. You just have to work up loads & evaluate them.

I have a Colt with a 1-7 barrel. It likes Hornady 68 gr BTHP match bullets. I do have loads with 55gr Nosler BT's and Hornady 53 gr VMax bullets, both shot far better at the lower end of the listed charge weights & some powders just would shoot well with either of them at all.

the 1:7 twist will like a long bullet try 69gn sierra tipped match king and H4895 powder.
you might be able to get by with something as light as a 53gn varmageddon as one of my 1:7 barrels like them.

I am not sure about .224 bullets but I have never had a problem with a fast twist - 1-8" in a .308W. In fact the increased spin helped down range performance dramatically. Not sure about the .224's so I can't suggest anything there. The smaller .224 bullets jackets may be too thin to take the increased spin as mentioned above.

I ran a quick QL prediction for the 69 grain Sierra, H322, 2.26" OAL and a 16" barrel and this combo is shown to be excellent at 2700 fps. I would start at 20 grains and work up in .3 increments and you should find a good place to start fine tuning.

Have a 1 in 9" twist Marlin XS7 heavy barrel (26") bolt action .223 rifle. Only thing I've done with it is played with its factory trigger and made a wood stock for it more suitable for shooting from benchrest. Its one of my more accurate rifles and I often use in our private ranges monthly competition when its shot at one or two hundred yards. Each month we change the distance shot, so I go to a larger cartridge rifle with a heavier bigger diameter bullet when we shoot at 400 yds.

Anyway, seems about any bullet up to 70 grains with a variety of .223 powders shoots well for me. Some better than others. But, I'm prone to use 23.6 grs of RL15 with a 60 gr Hornady Vmax in our matches. Used a 23.6 gr charge of Ramshot Exterminator powder and Hor 52gr Match bullets this morning for a 1/4-3/8" four shot group. Ramshot TAC is pretty good for me in the same range of bullets I've mentioned. Nice thing about Ramshot TAC and Exterminator, they are very fine ball type powders and meter quite well. Also, with most stick powders, like the RL15, you might experience a minor problem dropping a charge into the small diameter neck of a .223......no such problems with the Ramshot powders I've mentioned and they burn quite clean.

Last edited:
I have a 1:8 and doesn't like the lights, so move up to the 69-77gr range and like them MUCH better. Def. worth trying something heavier

If you don't mind the additional costs to get a fast flat round also look at the Nosler E-tip 55gn, it is 0.900" long with .305 BC and and may stabilize good with the 1:7 twist.

so far with my testing H4895 and Benchmark are the most accurate vs speed for common powders in my .223s although I do like the speed of ramshot Xterminator, Xterminator may work great for your short barrel if you get a chance to try it.

BTW I just noticed that you are from Indiana, what part?

Back