Custom fillet knife??

Cinch

I'm trying to put together a big fishing trip to Canada for me and a few of my friends for next year. I'd like to get myself a nice custom fillet knife built. Anyone have one they can post pics of and suggest a builder? Thanks...

For the money I'd go with Mike Miller. Best bang for the buck hands down. If money and wait time aren't a concern Brett Dowell or Rick Menefee.

Have you ever used a Knives of Alaska knife?

I know it's not custom, but for filet work, it's really hard to beat their blades.

I thought it was a good idea to work in a cannery a couple of years. I didn't know you could work that many hours in a day before that. I also worked my last summer in the fillet room.

They used those knives and would only be sharpened once a day after cutting all day. (8am to midnight in the busy season) I have the steelheader now and it's smaller, if you are cutting salmon and Halibut I would get the next size up. I still use mine for trout, and Elk de-boning, and it's my go to knife.

(congrats on make the trip, i would take a utility knife for halibut to cut the skin with first, before using the filet knife. That skin is really tough. Skip the salmon fishing as much as possible and get as much halibut as you can. It sells for as much as Blue fin tuna)

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=26&r=store%2Easp%3Fc%3D2%26p%3D4

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsLeech Lake fillet knives are pretty popular around here.

Wonder what blade steel, Rc and the heat treatment he uses? "SS" Super Steel is pretty vague. Do you have experience with them Brad?

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZHave you ever used a Knives of Alaska knife?

I know it's not custom, but for filet work, it's really hard to beat their blades.

I have the steelheader now and it's smaller, if you are cutting salmon and Halibut I would get the next size up. I still use mine for trout, and Elk de-boning, and it's my go to knife.

(congrats on make the trip, i would take a utility knife for halibut to cut the skin with first, before using the filet knife. That skin is really tough. Skip the salmon fishing as much as possible and get as much halibut as you can.

I guess when I think fishing trip to Canada, I don't think salmon or halibut. Normally I think walleye, pike and other inland fish.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Tbone-AZHave you ever used a Knives of Alaska knife?

I have the steelheader now and it's smaller, if you are cutting salmon and Halibut I would get the next size up. I still use mine for trout, and Elk de-boning, and it's my go to knife.

(congrats on make the trip, i would take a utility knife for halibut to cut the skin with first, before using the filet knife. That skin is really tough. Skip the salmon fishing as much as possible and get as much halibut as you can.

I guess when I think fishing trip to Canada, I don't think salmon or halibut. Normally I think walleye, pike and other inland fish.

Walleye and Pike is exactly what we will be fishing for!

Thank you all for the great ideas! I'll be looking into all of them... and of course I'll hang pics of whatever I end up with...

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Brad PhillipsLeech Lake fillet knives are pretty popular around here.

Wonder what blade steel, Rc and the heat treatment he uses? "SS" Super Steel is pretty vague. Do you have experience with them Brad?

I do not own one, but I have used one on a few Wally's. nice knife that stayed sharp.

I will own one soon, even though most of the fish I eat are panfish. I get by with a 4" Rapala for fish and a 6" to bone out Deer.

And yes, I agree the "SS" steel is pretty vague and could be better represented... I mean it is the year 2017 for crying out loud...

These are really dang good production knives. On sale for $88. Great steel (s30v) and pretty rosewood handles. Link

Good luck on your search for a custom...I am beginning to enjoy seeing what you post up in these custom knives!

Also, you may want to look into one of these. They work very, very well and quickly. Link

Thanks guys... I have some time to look and learn. It will be a new experience for me. Most of my fishing is mountain streams for brook trout. Catching big pole benders will be a great experience! Happy Father's Day guys...

They aren't custom knives, but I have some Forschners & they're really good knives, especially for the price. Super sharp out of the box & easily touched up with a steel. If you're going to have any guides you might consider taking some along for gifts/tips.

They don't come with sheaths. This company makes sheaths for them & sells them in combos with the knives:

http://www.bladetamer.com/html/combos.html

I have 8" fillet and 8" bone breaker blades & they're my favorite blades for carving things up. Filleting fish, butchering game, cutting meat into steaks & chops, carving a cooked turkey, I use them a lot.

We had a McCroskey filet knife made for my boss to use while fishing down in Florida. He seems to like it alot. I have 3- other McCroskey knives and they are fantastic so I have no doubt that the filet knife would not follow suit.

McCroskey Knives

Back