B-mag ?

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Tell me a little about them, i know they had some teething problems when they came out. Im looking at something for bobcat and fox pelt hunting and jackrabits for chilli meat.

I've had my HB SS Bmag for a couple years now and though there are certain things I hate about it, mostly knit picky personal things, I certainly can't complain about how it shoots. I bought mine before they came out with the factory heavy barrel laminated stock models so I tossed that plastic POS mine came with in the garbage on day one and put it in a Boyd's pro varmint then had it bed.

If you are looking for a rimfire with more "pop" than the 17 HMR delivers or you are hunting in an area where you can only use a rimfire but still want maximum deliverable energy, the 17 WSM is for you.

I know you didn't ask but I wouldn't overlook the 17 Hornet either.

Last edited:
Stay with a laminate stock version and you will be fine. I would also recommend a bolt handle upgrade. The stock handle offers very little leverage for larger hands to grab on to.

As far as the cartridge itself it is perfect for what you want.

I just got this one. No range report yet but I suspect it will perform. I've never even shot a 17 WSM so it will be educational.

20170613_113625_zps95tjhdqy.jpg

Greg

I had one that was a tack driver. Ended up gifting it to a very deserving kid for high school graduation. The only think I disliked was the firing pin would not reset if you worked the bolt without the safety in the fire position. I read other owners experiencing the same thing. I guess you could consider this an undocumented safety feature. :)

I remember a safety recall they had on a bolt part and if I remember right it fixed this problem. When I got the part in, I installed it and put the new handle on at the same time.

I had one of the first models to hit the market. It threw fliers all over the place. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. Same thing. I ended up giving it to a friend. I did manage however to drop my first coyote with this rifle. It's a hot little round.

Originally Posted By: vahunterHad 2 of them. Savage ended up refunding my money. I get better groups at 100 yards with 12ga buckshot.

Haha! I know what you are talking about. I threw the [beeep] thing one time I was so frustrated with it.

I have a couple of them and they are good shooters. I was testing the new lead free 17WSM ammo and got the best results from my Heavy Barrel Stainless B.MAG (Boyds stock). It beat out the other eight rifles I was shooting.

Eric
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Eric_MayerI have a couple of them and they are good shooters. I was testing the new lead free 17WSM ammo and got the best results from my Heavy Barrel Stainless B.MAG (Boyds stock). It beat out the other eight rifles I was shooting.

Eric
cool.gif

Eric, you didn't run any of those 15 grainers across a chronograph by chance did you, if you did, mind sharing what you were getting for velocities????

I see you had velocities using the Franklin but I was curious if you chronographed them using your 1-9tw Bmag.

Last edited:
i had one of the first ones out with the pencil barrel and the cheap [beeep] stock, if I could stay on milk jug accuracy at 100 yards I was doing good. I wanted so bad to make it shoot decent because I loved the round but it just didn't happen, down the road it went. I think they now have them figured out.

Originally Posted By: B23Eric, you didn't run any of those 15 grainers across a chronograph by chance did you, if you did, mind sharing what you were getting for velocities????

I see you had velocities using the Franklin but I was curious if you chronographed them using your 1-9tw Bmag.

They were averaging 3290fps at 2230' - 83 degrees temp. I'm going to list each rifle independently over on my 17WSM.com site, with the info for every available round. Finding time to compile the data is the tough part!

If you need more specific information, please let me know.

Eric
cool.gif

Mine is also the penciled barrel version. I bought it and 500 rounds of both the 20 and 25 grain ammo when it came out. Mine has always shot the 25 load better. Can't wait to try the 15 grainers.

As I mentioned above go with the laminate stock version in the BMAG. These seem to have less problems. Before I went that route with an aftermarket Boyd's stock I pulled my barreled action out of the stock and then removed some of the material in the forend, roughed it up and then epoxied a 1/4" steel rod in the entire length of the forend. Once this cured I removed a little material and roughed up the action area and then epoxy bedded the action. It shoots much better groups now with no unexpected fliers.

The cartridge is really cool. It would be nice to have a CZ or an Anschutz chambered for this round.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coyotezapperMine is also the penciled barrel version. I bought it and 500 rounds of both the 20 and 25 grain ammo when it came out. Mine has always shot the 25 load better. Can't wait to try the 15 grainers.

As I mentioned above go with the laminate stock version in the BMAG. These seem to have less problems. Before I went that route with an aftermarket Boyd's stock I pulled my barreled action out of the stock and then removed some of the material in the forend, roughed it up and then epoxied a 1/4" steel rod in the entire length of the forend. Once this cured I removed a little material and roughed up the action area and then epoxy bedded the action. It shoots much better groups now with no unexpected fliers.

The cartridge is really cool. It would be nice to have a CZ or an Anschutz chambered for this round.

Yeah man exactly. If CZ builds something that chambers this round I'll be jumping all over it.

Had problems with mine. Not extracting the spent casing, wouldn't load a new round, and wouldn't reset the firing pin. Sent it to Savage and a few weeks later called to check on it. They said they weren't repairing them but instead shipping back new guns. New one works fine. Shoots good groups.

Originally Posted By: Tgunz64Had problems with mine. Not extracting the spent casing, wouldn't load a new round, and wouldn't reset the firing pin. Sent it to Savage and a few weeks later called to check on it. They said they weren't repairing them but instead shipping back new guns. New one works fine. Shoots good groups.

It was just being a Savage.

Don't expect the poly tipped bullets to be fur friendly. I was really surprised at how badly they tore up jackrabbits - enough so that I opted not to use them on fox. I'd stick with a HMR for that.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamDon't expect the poly tipped bullets to be fur friendly. I was really surprised at how badly they tore up jackrabbits - enough so that I opted not to use them on fox. I'd stick with a HMR for that.

They have a new 15gr at 3300 FPS for the 17 WSM that just came out a few months ago too but after watching a couple of Eric's videos of them completely exploding ground squirrels like they had just had a grenade go off inside them, I'm not to sure they'd be very fur friendly either but it sure was fun watching the video, especially when he ran it in slow motion.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: DesertRamDon't expect the poly tipped bullets to be fur friendly. I was really surprised at how badly they tore up jackrabbits - enough so that I opted not to use them on fox. I'd stick with a HMR for that.

They have a new 15gr at 3300 FPS for the 17 WSM that just came out a few months ago too but after watching a couple of Eric's videos of them completely exploding ground squirrels like they had just had a grenade go off inside them, I'm not to sure they'd be very fur friendly either but it sure was fun watching the video, especially when he ran it in slow motion.
smile.gif

I'm looking fort some of those 15's here in Phoenix. None so far.

Greg

Back