Coyote/varmint hunting in Fargo ND??

desman

Hello,
I am new here, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with some info on where to hunt near Fargo ND? I am from Nevada which has lots of open land you can do pretty much anything you want, but out here it seems more private. Ive done some research and it looks like there are little plots of land you can go to but not sure? Do I just show up to these plots any time and hunt like its free land??

Anyone in Fargo area want to let me join them on a coyote or rabbit or prairie dog hunt?
I just want to get outside.
Thank you!

desman--Welcome to North Dakota. You probably already know that there aren't any prairie dog towns even remotely close to Fargo, but there are lots of gophers. You'll have to get out to the west half of ND to find prairie dogs. As for coyotes and fox, they live in all parts of North Dakota. Make sure you have the correct hunting licenses BEFORE you head out to shoot any animals or birds.

To find hunting land just check any No Hunting signs and get the landowner contact information if it is on the poster and start making phone calls. You can also look at country atlases and get landowner names off of those if the atlas is up-to-date. It will take some work to get land to hunt on.

There are also lots of school sections that are open for hunting (most of the time), and then there's the P.L.O.T.S. land. That's Private Land Open To Sportsmen. That is land that the ND Game and Fish Dept. has worked a lease with the landowner so hunters can hunt and the landowner gets a fee from the state.

Good Luck!!!

Not much for rabbits in the area, but get your coyote license and head west and within an hour you will find coyotes. Talk to farmers and find an area you like to be in a go to town on them- most are pretty good about coyote hunting

Thanks guys! Sounds like ill have to start talking to people and see who wants Coyote help.

I saw those PLOTS land maps on gf.nd.gov, I downloaded the maps and it looks like there are little areas in yellow I can hunt on? Do I just park my vehicle and walk onto that land with a rifle?
Sorry for the ignorance, I just don't want to do anything wrong. In Nevada we just park and hike out into any blm land and shoot. Can I do that on the yellow areas marked on that PLOT map?? I can just sit somewhere in there and call them in?
Thank you!!

Last edited:
Plots land stand for "private land open to sportsman". They are generally open to walk in only unless otherwise stated. Most of it is farm and ranch land, often with not much to hunt unless it has some sloughs, brush, creeks etc. everyone is going to be different and all you can do is go check each individual piece out for yourself. A lot of it is not worth the effort but every once in a while you will find something interesting. For me it's all out west and most interested in pheasants, if I'm lucky maybe one in ten will have huntable birds. As far as coyotes and the like, they are where you find them, no concentrations. In the winter until if and when the snow gets to deep every pot hole with catails is a possibility and worth checking out. If there is a corn field nearby they may have a coon or two. Old farmsteads often are loaded with coon. It's been my experience since our rabbit population is nowhere what it used to be fox and coyote are constantly moving and finding them is as much luck as skill. In ND you spend a lot of gas money for what you get. Some will disagree by I am a life long resident, 75 yrs old and hunting since I was 7 in both the east and western ND, there is huntable wildlife but you are going have work at it. Look for cattle, old tree claims, river bottoms and or cat ails and then look for tracks, if you find them and it's posted, ask. My experience has been that unless you are close to town about 50-70% will give you permission, in ND if it's not posted, it's leagal but please respect the landowner and don't assume its cart baunc and it's your right

Thanks guys!
Yea Im going to have to just start exploring and talking to people I guess. I'm just happy to be outside so hopefully I'll see some, but if not thats ok.

Desman, you might look into a Hunt On map hunting program. It costs about $100.00 per State and works with a garmin GPS and you also can get it for your IPhone or IPad. It will show you State Property's and even property owners names and their property lines. It's a real handy tool.

This is a screen shot of On Hunt X.

This is in Indiana, you can zoom in and out and you can layer other maps over it like trails or it will change the colors of State owned property. I use this program a lot while hunting in Arizona. The micro chip fits and works in my garmin GPS in my truck so I can load it and it lets me know where I can hunt as I'am driving.

Idk if it works with all states but I use an app called HuntStand and it has the parcel map also and it's only 10 dollars a year might want to check it out and save some coin

Get in your vehicle at midnight, pick a direction (like northwest), start driving, once outside the immediate populated city, stop.
Turn off the vehicle, no lights on, dark and quiet.
Howl, with your electronic call, with your hand call, whatever.

Wait for response, I'll stay 15min

When they respond, mark it on your GPS and\or map. Example, 3 NW & 1 SE.

Drive a mile, two miles, 300 miles, whatever, and repeat.

I used to go out at about 1pm, scout ducks and geese until dark, then howl for coyotes until I was ready to hunt in the morning. I'd stop about every mile or two and howl.

After a few nights of scouting like this you'll soon realize that there are coyotes everywhere, including close to town.

Go visit with a DNR officer and talk with them about the laws

Another option is the Garmin GPS map made by my company, Kirsch's Outdoor Products and we are actually located in Fargo ND. Our maps are called TRAX maps and NDTRAX is for ND. Our maps have the most private land information for ND. Also, our private land information includes the land owner's city and state of residence and around 60% of our private land records include contact telephone numbers. The NDTRAX maps are going to have topography, public lands, road, trails, sections, hunting units, points of interest and more. Other unique features are we include Game Warden contact information and our maps are actually layered. This means you can turn features off on the map to key in on specific features.

You can pick up a NDTRAX map at Scheels or you can order directly from us. As the owner, I am also a diehard coyote hunter. I would be happy to discuss coyote hunting across ND with you.

Back