Baiting

Took this male tonight. He was lying down in the field beside my house about 135 yds. away and every once in a while I would see him raise his head. I couldn' t see his body for the corn. This went on for 15 minutes at least. Finally I got out my call and tried babe cottontail but that didn't get any reaction so I went to pup distress 3. He stood up to look then and gave me a headshot so I took it. As you can see I hit him in the head and it blew one of his eyeballs out. He was deformed some kind of way in the hips as you can tell they are sort of atrophied. Anyway that is one less coyote. Here is the picture but I didn't shoot any video.

Last edited:
DU could you see any kind of a previous injury? This from a few years ago, I know why this one is deformed, my son dinged him in the right rear leg and we never found him. A month or so later after season closed he returned and I had him on video. We finally shot him the following year. Dog was healthy as could be other than the bum back leg. We shot him and his mate on 2 consecutive nights Tuesday and Wednesday after the dog runners hit our block on Saturday and Sunday. Amazing he could avoid them.

Pmack, no I couldn't tell, but my guess was that he was either hit by a car or perhaps just born with a deformity and managed to survive. Best guess would be hit by a car though. When I ran the laser on the shot, he was actually 151 yds. so that was a long punch for a head shot in the dark. I had looked at him earlier with the Photon, but opted for the Apex50A because I knew I would only get one shot with the Photon because of the white out.

I had seen him a couple of nights earlier out in the field behind my house when we came home from calling. I was pretty sure that it was a coyote but couldn't make a positive ID that night. I could tell that he was getting around with a pretty bad limp in his hindquarters.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpWe are sort of in the off season now, so I thought I would take time to review some of the past results.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. So, I'm giving credit to 6mm06 who has cost me thousands of dollars since he sent me his Photon 4.6XT to try before he returned it. Until that time, I was going along killing a coyote here and there calling and on my bait pile. Now, I have 3 Photons, a Pulsar thermal scanner, and a Pulsar Apex XD50A on my rifle. Then on top of that he got me into getting dvr's for recording because I enjoyed his video work so well. I try not to think about how much he has cost me.
smile.gif
But what are friends for?
smile.gif
smile.gif

My video work will never come up to his quality, but I do enjoy recording what happens and it teaches me a lot about what actually happened good or bad. I've convinced that lots of folk who believe they made good shots would be surprised where the rifle was actually pointed when they pulled the trigger.

Here are some of the earlier kill shots from 2015 when 6mm sent me down this NV and recording road. In truth, the expense seems less important each time I pull the trigger and see one go DRT.

6mm06 has had that same effect on me I blame him fully for my light wallet. However, I am enjoying the new found hobby so all is not lost. Bad news is I am afraid that this spending thing is going to get worse before it gets better. I need/want a thermal scope. All his fault I say, but I really don't think he meant any harm lol.
Congrats on "gimpy", maybe you done him a favor DU.

My momma never could do anything with me. I've been a bad boy from the start. The way I see it though is that I dream big and spend little whereas you guys jump right in with both feet to the good stuff and have me foaming at the mouth with desire. Then you go and loan me your HD19A. I mean, I can't get a good night's rest now for thinking "thermal." So who is influencing who? I have a feeling your mommas had a hard time too.

Just remember what the good book says about reaping what you sow.
smile.gif

I can definitely see a thermal, maybe a couple of them in your future.

My Momma used to say when I was growing up that only dark would drive me home from hunting or fishing. Now I don't leave until dark.
lol.gif

Checked out the window just before 10:30 last night and saw a coyote in the corn messing in some scraps I had thrown over in the field. The corn is so high that I could only see along the cleared edge, so I got out the 6x45 and the Apex thermal, and put the bipod on it to shoot. Shot was 155 yds., DRT. Glad to get this one just as the moon was coming above the trees. He was actually one row deep in the corn, but I was still able to make the shot with the thermal.

IMG_20170610_224509023

Last edited:

I don't know about DoubleUp, you would think he would get tired of squeezing the trigger so much. He may even end up with arthritis in his trigger finger from overworking it.

Seems you just keep on rockin' DoubleUp. Nice.

I thought I'd post up this video of this one I killed calling last night. Not sure about the second one as it looked like I was dead on at the shot. I'll have to go back and have a look today. Sorry the video isn't very good. Everything happened so fast that I had not gotten my scope adjusted correctly. Moral of that story is never start until everything is ready. Video is in slow motion.

Here is a picture of the coyote (young male) where he fell in the freshly planted beans.

IMG950894

Last edited:
Week, may be cheating (a little), but turns the night into day. Unfortunately I had just turned the scope on and must have inadvertently hit the roller knob that adjusts brightness and contrast. It was all out of whack and I didn't have time to do anything more than adjust it to where I could see enough to take the shot. When I laser ranged the shot the next day, it was actually 145 yds.

Last edited:
Any of you guys use remote game cams? I plan on baiting in remote areas in the mountains for yotes. I also want to use for deer. I work on the road a lot and don't always have time to check my trail cams. I really don't want to spend $400, best bang for your buck kinda thing. One other thing do these remote cameras have to have a cell service? Thank you

Sorry Brad, I haven't used them so can't help you in with those questions, but thanks for posting here, and maybe someone else here uses trail cams that transmit to their phone.

Back