A little help...ammo ID

Switch

I had a good friend pass recently and I'm trying to move some of his stuff for his sister. He was a reloader and had quite a few different firearms that have already been sold off. I found a few boxes of stuff that have a few things in it that I am not familiar with. Can anyone help me out?

I have 60 rounds of this, with only the one ammo clip. The round is sitting on a quarter for size reference. The head stamp says...LC 52

Also in the photo and obviously from a different firearm are a few steel ammo clips (I have 13 of those). I'm not sure if they have any value, but I'd be willing to move them on to someone who can use them.

Thanks for any help.

Originally Posted By: reb8600

+1 The caliber is 30 Carbine

Any of you remember when surplus .30 Carbine ammo was by far the cheapest centerfire ammo you could buy? Back in the 60's when I as too young to buy any of it the army/navy store where I used to live sold those OD green cans of .30 Carbine 110 grain FMJ for $10. And that's for 600 rounds! That stuff was so cheap and plentiful that Bill Ruger, being the genius that he was, decided to start chambering his Blackhawks in that caliber and they sold well. A friend of mine bought one for $75 and it shot pretty dang good. Loud bastard but it was fun to shoot to be sure.

My dad was issued a .30 M1 Carbine at one point in his military career. As the Korean War wound down the Chinese Communist were killing and burning out foreign (United States and British) plantation and business owners in the Formosa Islands, Tiawan and thereabout. Dad was part of a landing party that was responsible for making a landing and going inland to evacuate U.S. and British citizens. Years later he acquired a surplus M1 and kept it around the farm. He must have gotten some really good deals on ammo because as a kid dad and I would plink with that little carbine in the same casual way we did our .22 rifles. In other words we shot a whole bunch of ammo! Gosh I loved shooting that little rifle!

I have a relatively rare {only 277k produced out of 6.5 million) Rock-Ola M1 Carbine that is original issue and matching mfg stamps, including the magazine...It was issued to a line officer that was moved to administration and he brought it home with him at the end of WW2..His grandson sold it to a black powder shop and I picked it up a couple of years ago..Using my bore scope, I only found one slight trace of copper in the barrel and the gas port is showing no wear at all...

I wish M1 Carbine ammo was still cheap..while not as bad as some .223s, I still paid more than I thought was fair for 100 rounds, to get the brass for reloading...

Back