~ i believe it is n0w summer ~

Infidel 762

Staff member
According to the Gregorian calendar, it is not yet summer. Today, in Oklahoma if you were to step outside, one could sure believe that it is summer. All the while, June rain signals the approaching Summer Solstice, whereas muddy fields delay the harvest.

Our local meteorology has no effect on the calendar of the heavens. As the sun’s rays strike our ground at a much more direct angle, it refracts light through water suspended above. What some see as a phenomenon or illusion, others see as a visual promise.

As our ground grows warm and dry, farm equipment deploys into the fields. The heat slips in the last hours of daylight as I set out for an evening stand. Trans versing down a fence line I witnessed a territorial dispute. One seemed to be curiously aroused.

I set up with the same tactics as the previous night, where I put a bad hit on a coyote I was not able to find. The combine got louder as it circles its approach and then faded in passing. Coyote is drawn to the sounds and smell of the harvest, with its opportunistic possibilities.

I set up overlooking a draw between a heavily wooded creek bottom and a wheat field that was in the process of being harvested. I wait for the combine to pass and then introduce a new coyote into the draw. I toyed around with low volume coaxer sounds for a couple minutes and then shouldered my rifle on sticks. I ready myself as I glance down at the red dot of my safety and then go loudly into canine distress. With only a few minutes into the stand I have a coyote coming in on a dead run through bottom accented with minty henbit.  I bark him to a stop and he drops into the purple.

Young male, who won’t make it home in time for supper.

Tonight, I set out again with the same tactics. This place is a 160 acre irrigated crop circle with half planted in wheat and the other half in oats with a lot of volunteer rye mixed in. The wheat had just been cut and a tractor was plowing the stubble. I setup overlooking a corner of the back half of that circle, hoping to call them out or along the edge of the oats. I started with some vocals and immediately catch a glimpse of coyote heading towards me. She disappeared in a low spot and then reappears on the fence line, now inside my quarter section. I threw coaxer sounds at her and steadied my breathing as she started working closer in and towards the oats. I gather my composure and woof her to a stop.

By the wear on her teeth I guess her to be well over three years old.

Barren female, that came on a territorial response.

As I sat on the corner of that field vaping an e-cig, the tractor went quiet and other coyote howled just off the field. I suspect they have heard it all before.

Tonight you could see it; the Strawberry Moon, also known as the Hot or Rose Moon. The Rose Moon is the full moon nearest the Summer Solstice. The moon Native Americans saw as the seasonal change into summer. Like them, I believe it is now summer…

Coyote does not have the same intelligence as man. His education has been taught differently and through a language all of his own. He follows instinct living a simpler life, where we can hesitate on contemplation. If his intellect is measured by man’s standards, he does rank very high. However, if measurements were to be reversed, we find that we fall short on coyote’s standards.

Fall short regardless of the season...

1689.gif

Quote:Like them, I believe it is now summer

I think so, too! Few days ago it was 105* in the shade on our patio!

Thanks for sharing your tale, Jeremy. They sure help me to fill in the blanks between hunts! Oh, and would you be so kind as to send some of that rain down this way while you're at it?

Regards,
Clarence

Once again Infidel 762, your photos and prose captivated me and made me feel like I was right there with you. Thank you for taking the time and effort to make this post.
thumbup.gif

Makes me feel like I'm reading the future. Still wet and low 60's here. Have to be careful where you drive or risk getting stuck. Combines are not even maintenance ready.
Guess the coyotes are always eligible for a shot.

Back