6.5 Grendel for coyotes

g Bo

Has anyone had personal experience using a Grendel for coyotes? How many have you killed and how would you compare the damage it does compared to a 223?

i killed over 30 last year with hornady 123 grain SST and i thought i had less pelt damage than with 53 grain v-max because i never had a bullet splash on the shoulder or down the ribs when they were facing me

The 6.5g is a HAMMER! I have put down many coyotes with the .223 but the Grendel is my go to gun for them. The Grendel puts them down and they stay down. I have never needed a follow up shot with my Grendel. It is an incredibly fun cartridge to shoot and fun to learn. You can really stretch out your shooting skills.

But why worry about choosing? Just get an upper in each caliber. Beauty of having them in the same chassis, we don't have to choose just one.

I have shot about a dozen with the Grendel and the 95 v max. Have had some pretty heavy damage with it on a couple of them, and almost always an exit. Only one has taken a follow up shot, but not sure it was 'needed'. Very effective, but not exactly a fur friendly round; more of a contest rig in my experience.

I've killed quite a few with minebusingseveral different bullets but prefere the 95gr vmax, damage isn't much at all most of the time

Most of the coyotes I have knocked down are with the 123gr Hornady SST. It will usually exit the coyote but normally the holes are about the same size. You can also use 129gr Hornady SP's if you hand load or try the Federal Fusion in 120gr SP's in a factory load. I have sen the SP's performing quite well in .204, .223 and in .308 on coyotes.

Back