Big Game Hunting Back Packs?

derbyacresbob

I need to buy a new back pack to use for deer hunting. I want a pack that will hold lots of meat and big items in the pack. I don't want a back pack that has a bunch of small compartments.

Can any of you guys recommend a good big game hunting back pack with a large main compartment.

Thanks

Bob

I have been researching packs for awhile. I have looked into a lot of different companies, and many of them had features I liked but nothing was just perfect. I finally settled on a Eberlestock M5 team elk pack. It seems fairly stream line and has the side pockets I need to carry my tripod and camera. With lots of space in the main compartment. It also has incorporated gun and bow carry capacity. I have lighter weight packs for shorter excursions, but there is times I like to put a pack on for all day or several days of just going where the hunt takes me and I think this pack will fill the bill.

drscott

I bought the COMMANDER X+PACK from ALPS. My boy had the COMMANDER. You can get half a bull elk in his, done that, if you bone it out. It's a little lighter then the Eberlestock Packs. Quality is, as good in my opinion. The Commander lets you take off the pack for a frame to lash to. The X has expandable straps to put the meat in next to the frame and leave the pack on. It will handle a deer.

Pick up a used Mystery Ranch Crew Cab... very nice, made in the USA, built for work. I'm sure there's some YouTube videos you can watch to see them in action.

Buy a good quality roll top dry bag ($20-45)of a size suitable for your gear then find a freighter pack ($100-129) with fold down shelf. That combo is very affordable, and gives you unlimited, all weather options for hauling as much as you can physically carry!

Good suggestions here.

I am just cheap and if you are on a very tight budget. I have used Alaska Game bags set in Trash compactor bags, (they don't leak and are fine for hiking out)

I then put the meat in a Sea bag, or military duffel bag to hike out. It has a very large single compartment and folds up very small. https://www.armysurplusworld.com/product...CFQWSaQodx_0LzA
This is a WP bag that you can put in the bottom of any pack you get to keep from leaking blood on everything. https://www.armysurplusworld.com/product/new-wet-weather-clothing-bag

The Other option is the Large mountain ruck (Alice pack) with frame. You can get one at a surplus store for a deal. Especially since you are only using it for a limited purpose. http://shop.opticsplanet.com/fox-outdoor...CFUMaaQodkEkNPA

I did this a few years, then friends and i got a Golf bag caddie, and put kids bike tires on it. I would rather drag it out rolling vs. on my back if possible.

Good luck.. I hope you are successful and need the pack.

I use both an Eberlestock X2 and/or the F1 Mainframe. For strictly meat hauling the F1 Mainframe is more comfortable and carries more. The F1 is also compatible with Eberlestock accessories and it's easy to get a bag for hunting gear to pair up with the Mainframe.

If you have the coin to spend, Mystery Ranch and Kifaru both make fantastic packs with a wide variety of options. Buy once, cry once... you will enjoy either for a lifetime.

Brian

I use the Eberlestock Dragonfly. To me it's extremely versatile. Packing in, you have two vertical main compartments that are fairly roomy and some small ones. There is a small pack on top which can be disconnected and the water bladder transferred into it; I use it as a daypack or a "run-n-gun" pack that allows me to drop the main pack for a stalk or climb but keep all of my gear needed for the kill with me.

Once you kill something, you unzip the center zipper and the two large pockets swing out to become side pockets. A massive center meat compartment is opened up that can hold as much meat as your legs can carry.

I started out with a Badlands 2200, then moved to an Eberlestock X1A1. I never could get either quite right. Finally I spent a bit more money and bought an Exo Mountain Gear K2 2000. I love this thing. It's got all the features of the high end packs without a lot of fluff. It's a great day pack and works well for a weekend pack trip. For longer trips, I'd spring for the 3500 bag that fits on the same frame. I heartily recommend this pack. It played a big role in my recent successful hunt for public land Barbary sheep here in NM.

I do mostley mountain hunting. I personally have a kuiu icon pro with the apex straps and love it. After 2 knee surgeries 70lbs is my max! I know alot ofnguys say anything over 70lbs go kifaru, mystery ranch.exo or stone. They are on a other level eblers are nice for day packs but you really dont want to put alot of weight in them. They start getting uncomfortable quick.
Buy the best you can afford. There are two things i dont go cheap on for mountain hunting. Thats boots and packs. Hiking miles suck if your feet or back hurt.

Last edited:
It's been almost two years and we don't know if Bob got his big game pack, but I'll jump back in and say that I still love the Exo Mountain Gear pack. I've since "upgraded" to a 3500 bag to go along with the original 2000. I swap it onto the K2 frame for longer hunts and backpacking trips I take with the Scouts. To those still shopping, I encourage you to have a look at Exo.

I have an Exo as well, with the 5500 bag. No pack is perfect for everyone, but overall I am very pleased with it. Would buy it again.

Back