Calling while floating a river.

I was figuring on using a single barrel shotgun with a tight choke. If the gun gets wet it should be easier to clean and dry out that a repeater. If the gun was lost in a dunking I wouldn't be out as much money. Also it doesn't seem likely that more than one shot would be likely because the coyotes would be back in the brush too quick if the first shot missed.
I would need some type of waterproof container that the electric call could ride in. I think an e-call would be necessary because the sound needs to come from a sand bar or clearing to be able see the coyote.

Most modern repeaters tear down easily enough that I wouldn't worry too much about that. I've had my old 870 Wingmaster and my M1 Benelli completely soaked several times over the years. Tear them down, wipe dry, use a little hot air then relube them and not a speck of rust and zero malfunctions. I don't like for them to take a soak but it isn't the end of the world. The waterfowl industry has floating waterproof gun cases on the market. That's pretty good insurance in my mind in case of an emergency tip over.

Don't neglect a PFD for yourself. The rivers I hunt are frigid cold, can be deep and have fast currents. Go over the side in heavy winter hunting clothes and boots and it's bad news. Closest I've ever came to drowning was when I fell out of a boat fishing a mid-March bass tournament. It was cold, I had a jacket on and heavy pants and 7" boots. I went over the side in about 50' of water. I remember the sudden shock of that cold water and in the few seconds it took me to realize my predicament I looked up to see the light fading away as I sank. That was disconcerting!!! I started kicking and paddling hard to get to the surface and felt the weight of the jacket and boots dragging on me. It was a fight to get to the surface. Swimming was a struggle. I learned a lot that day...

Back