Helicopters, Hunting, Hot-Air Balloons, & Hogs

hm1996

Staff member
Quote:
Helicopters, Hunting, Hot-Air Balloons, & Hogs

Posted on June 1, 2017 by Texas & U.S. Law Shield Staff

There’s nothing quite like Texas Hog Hunting! It’s some of the most exciting hunting you can do anywhere. If you prefer hunting from a blind or stand, you can hog hunt. Prefer baiting your quarry to show up at the feeder? Texas hog hunting is for you! Hate the idea of hunting over bait but love spot and stalk hunting? Well, Texas hog hunting is for you, too! Too hot in Texas? Not at night! So while spotlighting deer is illegal, spotlighting hogs is certainly a legal option.

“Definitely one of the appeals of hog hunting is the loose regulations —no closed season, for instance,” said Gordon Cooper, an attorney at Walker & Byington in Houston and an Independent Program Attorney for Texas Law Shield. “The State of Texas doesn’t regulate hog hunting as closely as it does deer hunting because hogs aren’t classified as game animals. Pigs are pests, vermin, nuisance animals, and they’re incredibly destructive.”

How destructive? To the tune of $52 million a year in agricultural damages alone.

About 2 million feral hogs call Texas home. According to the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service’s Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences, “They can be found in approximately 230 of our 254 counties and are causing an increasing amount of damage in suburban/urban areas because of vehicle collisions and landscape damage.”

Texas hog hunting presents ample opportunities, but you need the right gear and knowledge to be successful—and to stay legal.

Quote:And helicopters aren’t the only means of aerial assault upon hog populations. Just a few days ago, the Texas Legislature passed a law that clears the way for hog hunting from hot air balloons. As of this writing, the bill was awaiting the signature of Gov. Greg Abbott.

Read more:
http://blog.uslawshield.com/helicopters-hunting-hot-air-balloons-hogs/

Regards,
hm

haha..

I don't know, i think that i would be all about hunting massive swaths of land for hogs from a paraglider, air foil, airplane, hellicopter, ultra-light.

But, hot air balloon? Doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort to get that added to the list.

I just wonder if someone in a hot air balloon was sited for hunting from one, so they are pushing to make it now legal?

I do not know about being sited. But I have been in several Hot air balloons and you are at the mercy of the wind. It could be a one time one pass sort of a deal for the hunter. There needs to be a chase vehicle and it is best to make sure that you have permission to land on the area of land you plan on dropping down on. We were descending once and the acquaintance of mine (whose land we were to land upon ) had horses, this upset the hoses because of the noise from the burners being set off occasionally, to soften the landing. Owner was angry too. Horses tried to look up and were turning the heads to the side and twisting their necks and running all over. Dang near a stampede.
Anyway excuse the sidetrack. There is a lot more work to using a Hot air balloon than one might think. It takes several people also.
+1 with Tbone An Ultralight would be fun to fly in.

Back