RUGER MINI-14 .223 (LATEST VERSION MODEL 5816)

Originally Posted By: tripod3These mini-14 threads always get a lot of traffic and then about everybody goes home without one. Sad.
I think HK 630 was the answer but they are gone. Really sad.
Hope this gets answered someday by a conventional rifle.
Can't recall offhand the most recent attempted failure, but it didn't last long.

Bought it. Picking it up this weekend. Looks like the bugs have been sorted out with the newer models. They got a bad rap from the earlier versions. Will it shoot groups like my .17 Hornet? Not by a long shot. But I bet it's more fun to shoot!

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: tripod3These mini-14 threads always get a lot of traffic and then about everybody goes home without one. Sad.
Can't recall offhand the most recent attempted failure, but it didn't last long.

Bought it. Picking it up this weekend. Looks like the bugs have been sorted out with the newer models. They got a bad rap from the earlier versions. Will it shoot groups like my .17 Hornet? Not by a long shot. But I bet it's more fun to shoot!

I've never heard that one before!!
laugh.gif
At least not yet today I hadn't.

You'll enjoy your rifle. Just don't plan to shoot internet praise-worthy groups with it. As I and others stated, Mini 14's are an extremely fun plinker.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: tripod3These mini-14 threads always get a lot of traffic and then about everybody goes home without one. Sad.

laugh.gif

You'll enjoy your rifle. Just don't plan to shoot internet praise-worthy groups with it. As I and others stated, Mini 14's are an extremely fun plinker.

They did, because the older models had some flaws. They retooled the production line in 2005.

http://magicvalley.com/lifestyles/recrea...5594cc00c2.html

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: tripod3These mini-14 threads always get a lot of traffic and then about everybody goes home without one. Sad.

laugh.gif

They did, because the older models had some flaws. They retooled the production line in 2005.

http://magicvalley.com/lifestyles/recrea...5594cc00c2.html

I currently own a ~2013-14 stainless Mini-14 synthetic rifle that was bought new off a dealer shelf. According to your link the new more accurate rifles were made after 2003.

Apparently my much newer rifle didn't get the memo about the accuracy improvements. It shoots no better than earlier Mini-14's that I owned did, but I still have a lot of fun with it. With iron sights they make a great 4-wheeler rifle.

When you get it, I'd still recommend my 4 ideas concerning the rifles:

1. They are a lot of fun to plink with. By design, they are not a highly accurate hunting rifle.
2. Any Mini-14 you buy probably won't be highly accurate if that is what you are after.
3. If you put a scope on one, it probably won't make you happy with the rifle and maybe even with the
scope itself.
4. They are a lot of fun to plink with. By design, they are not a highly accurate hunting rifle.

Bill Clinton didn't inhale either. At least that's what he told us.

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan

This made me think that we should have a mini-14 challenge. Post your best 5 or 10 shot group. Anybody up for it?

Originally Posted By: mhammerOriginally Posted By: Winny Fan

This made me think that we should have a mini-14 challenge. Post your best 5 or 10 shot group. Anybody up for it?

Someone might use a shotgun w/buckshot and win.
wub.gif

Originally Posted By: mhammerOriginally Posted By: Winny Fan

I'm in. I'll be throwing a red dot on it though, but I'd still like to participate.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Originally Posted By: mhammerOriginally Posted By: Winny Fan

wub.gif

smile.gif

The main problem with a Mini-14 is the cost. They function fine and shoot OK. Problem is that you can buy way more gun for your money. I will buy one as soon as I find one NIB for $250.

I have a buddy that ones a very early model that I have tried to talk him out of. Simply because he has owned it for years and it is spotless.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Originally Posted By: mhammerOriginally Posted By: Winny Fan

wub.gif

LOL!! Good post!

Maybe we could make it two challenges in one with photo proof of the happenings: A Mim-14 target photo of a "mini" group and the shooter/Mini14 rifle along with a photo of you and the coyote/s that you've killed with a 17HMR at 500 yards or more. A different rifle would by necessity be involved with the second photo, but what the hey. Just a thought since we're brainstorming.
laugh.gif

I have one in my safe. After buying it and wasting a lot of ammunition, I soon realized that this was a hopeless case. My money would have been better spent on almost any other rifle. I should sell it but would hate to stick someone else with this piece of junk.

Needless to say, I will never own another Ruger rifle although I think I still have a very old Ruger 22 pistol that was OK. I also have much better automatic pistols and revolvers that are all OK so I have other options when shooting.

Member of our range is quite experienced in working on/building semi-auto rifles. Fal military rifles, M1 carbines/Garrands, AKs, M14s and etc. Heck, he showed up at range years ago with a Browning 30 cal tripod mounted machine from WWII era that he'd restored, also making it to fire semi-auto. That was a hoot to see him shoot.

Asked him about the Ruger Mini-14 one time, had he done any work on them. Said he owns one (early model) that shoots pretty good for accuracy....but that he'd put some money into it, modifying it and etc. What he did, I do not recall.

Recall another member of our range, buying the heavier barrel new version of the Ruger Mini-14. He'd also owned the earlier version of it at one time. He thought Ruger's changes to the rifle were an improvement on its accuracy, but nothing to really brag about.

Last edited:
Most responses are referring to the older model. It'd be nice to hear some comments from people that "own" the 5816 model. Most of these comments are coming from seniors that are in assisted living and seem a bit agitated because they need their adult diaper changed.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgWas just wondering how do you guys like 'em? Model 5816 in .223.

You got four pages of responses warning you about accuracy issues but....they are fun to shoot. You go ahead and buy the rifle then slam the "seniors" because they aren't telling you what you want to hear. Go Figure! We'll be waiting on your next post.......How do I make my Mini 14 more accurate?
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: Bad DawgWas just wondering how do you guys like 'em? Model 5816 in .223.

You got four pages of responses warning you about accuracy issues but....they are fun to shoot. You go ahead and buy the rifle then slam the "seniors" because they aren't telling you what you want to hear. Go Figure! We'll be waiting on your next post.......How do I make my Mini 14 more accurate?
unsure.gif

Hey man stop acting all psyco. Lol. Nope, I am aware that they are not the most accurate rifle out there. If I want extreme accuracy then I'll grab my CZ .17 Hornet. I am not a fan of AR's and wanted an auto loading .223 so that's what I decided to go with. It will be used for plinking, home defense and occasionally for taking out coyote/fox hunting.

But again, I am seeing many comments related to the older versions and not many, if not none at all related to the model I asked about.

Originally Posted By: DGWMember of our range is quite experienced in working on/building semi-auto rifles. Fal military rifles, M1 carbines/Garrands, AKs, M14s and etc. Heck, he showed up at range years ago with a Browning 30 cal tripod mounted machine from WWII era that he'd restored, also making it to fire semi-auto. That was a hoot to see him shoot.

Asked him about the Ruger Mini-14 one time, had he done any work on them. Said he owns one (early model) that shoots pretty good for accuracy....but that he'd put some money into it, modifying it and etc. What he did, I do not recall.

Recall another member of our range, buying the heavier barrel new version of the Ruger Mini-14. He'd also owned the earlier version of it at one time. He thought Ruger's changes to the rifle were an improvement on its accuracy, but nothing to really brag about.

Thanks for the info man!

I'm good, but if a rifle isn't accurate and fun to shoot, I'm not wasting my money. I drank the Mini tea once before......not again! But, that doesn't mean you won't enjoy the rifle and there is a company you can send it to and for about a grand, they can improve on the accuracy.

My current Mini-14 is not the model you are buying, but it is definitely one of the "new and improved" models you keep referring to. As I stated before, accuracy with it is still ho-hum.

Maybe someone will be along shortly to affirm your choice for you. That seems to be all that you are wanting. Anything else is just blah, blah.

Pats on the back are nice, but so is honesty if you're not delusional.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI'm good, but if a rifle isn't accurate and fun to shoot, I'm not wasting my money. I drank the Mini tea once before......not again! But, that doesn't mean you won't enjoy the rifle and there is a company you can send it to and for about a grand, they can improve on the accuracy.

Yeah man I've heard it's expensive to send these in to get worked on to improve accuracy. I only own bolt guns besides my handgun and shotgun so I just wanted something fun to shoot besides an AR.

Back