convert 22 nosler to 22 beast?

BleedsBlue

has anyone converted a 22 nosler to a 22 beast?

since the 22 nosler is lackluster in performance and the process to get more performance is to use 6 hagar brass along with 6.8spc bolt why not just ream the nosler out to 22 beast allowing more case fill (37gn of water) rather than working the 6 hagar down to 22 nosler case length a simple neck down would complete the brass.

if so whom would be recommended for the reaming?

just wanted to throw this idea out there to get feedback.

What about 3550 with 55s and 3700 with 50's out of an AR is lack luster? Barrel, mag, and a box of ammo and there you are.
More fake news!
tt2.gif

Last edited:
I have 2 22 noslers shooting 53gn bullets and they are not getting those speeds without major pressure signs that destroy the nosler brass.

I will soon do some testing with hagar brass to see if I get a more desirable effect.

its just a shame to FL size the hagar brass then have to trim it when I could be just neck sizing the same brass and retain more case capacity and possibly have more speed with less pressure.

24" WOA 1-12 twist so far tested the following powders:

Varget
H4895
Benchmark
h335
Ramshot X-terminator
shooters world TAC

and still have 21 more varieties to test.

I was able to achieve over 3800 fps with Ramshot X-terminator but had primer failures.

If I remember correctly Varget got to 3588 with 32gn and the primer pockets were loose afterward.

I'll look at my notes and post results later.

there are probably very few individuals that have as many varieties of powder as I testing this thing.

so far I am more impressed with a cheap 24" 223 wylde AR stoner barrel with a hot dose of X-terminator making 3530 fps (1" group off of shooting sticks), the same barrel does 3450 with h4895 (.75" off of shooting sticks) and I am sure it would group better with bags and a descent trigger. yet the brass was in better shape than the nosler barely outperforming it. and if I have to destroy brass to get these speeds why not use 25 cent nato vs. 70 cent nosler and use less powder doing so.

I am wanting to get closer to 22-250 speeds which is 4000 fps that we have developed for a friend.

3550fps is not 22-250 speeds.

My goal is 3700+ with a 53gn bullet. (300 fps faster than a factory 223 53vmax) 22 nosler was advertised to be 300 fps faster than a 223 and a case capacity of 25% more powder. So far my findings are that the nosler brass can only handle 10-15% more powder than a 223 and only 100 fps faster.

I did a quick search a few months ago and could not find a 22 Beast reamer for sale. I thought reaming out the 22 Nosler seemed like a possibility too. It may save some time in brass prep. 6mmar.com sells complete uppers, so you could start over with one of them, but I don't think it will increase velocity enough to make it worth while. Even though brass prep for the Hagar brass is time consuming I was able to get 3600 FPS in an 18" barrel which is perfect for me and doesn't leave me wanting for much more. It beats my 223 by 200 FPS out of a 20" barrel, both loads leave the primer pockets a bit loose so it seems a fair comparison. If I want more speed than that I have an Olympic Arms 22-250 that will give me an additional 350 FPS using Hornady Superformance factory ammo in a 24" barrel which also leaves the primer pockets loose. I feel for the short light weight rifle the Nosler is makes it worth the loss of velocity, and it does fill the gap between the 223 and the 22-250 velocity wise. If Nosler would have skipped the rebated rim and offered brass that wasn't so soft it would have been a winner out of the box. As it is a new bolt, and some brass prep make it a winner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I would guess cfe 223 will take you well into the 3600s.

I second the CFE223 it's given me my highest velocities in the Nosler and the 22-250

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieOriginally Posted By: varminter .223I would guess cfe 223 will take you well into the 3600s.

I second the CFE223 it's given me my highest velocities in the Nosler and the 22-250

Dirty what loads were you using in your 18" vs. 20" comparison? The quick 18" barrel match I did on one load of 50's showed the 223 faster by 26 FPS hitting 3431 but I did have a bit more room available on the Nosler.

Greg

Last edited:
Finally got to test some Hagar brass with various powders.

53gn nosler varm. Bullets and using wsr primers that will give evidence of pressure signs early.

Indeed the CFE 223 produced 3691 fps avg. At 33gn, the primers were flattened yet the pockets were not loose.

I tested 9 other powders but most were at an unsafe level.

I will post speeds once I feel that they have been reduced to a safe level.

Here is the list of tested powders:

Xterminator 30.5gn 3676
A2460 30.5gn 3600
A2520 31gn 3517
CFE 223 33gn 3691
W748 32.5gn 3697 (primer fail)
Shooters world match 31gn 3562
Varget 31gn 3511 (primer fail)
H4895 31.2gn 3740 (light swipes)
Benchmark
Superformance 34gn 3196

What is the H2O capacity on the HAGAR conversion brass vs. the 22 Nosler after firing?

You might want to get the data straight from Hodgdon on the Nosler and that will give you a rough idea on pressures. They listed a MAX of 29.9 of H4895 and a52 at 3561 and 53,500 PSI.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterWhat is the H2O capacity on the HAGAR conversion brass vs. the 22 Nosler after firing?

You might want to get the data straight from Hodgdon on the Nosler and that will give you a rough idea on pressures. They listed a MAX of 29.9 of H4895 and a52 at 3561 and 53,500 PSI.

Greg
This is info that is hard to believe but the once fired nosler brass is 36.5gn of water and the converted Hagar brass is 35.1gn

This explains the speed gains but doesn't explain the lower pressure signs on the primers

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueOriginally Posted By: GLShooterWhat is the H2O capacity on the HAGAR conversion brass vs. the 22 Nosler after firing?

Greg
This is info that is hard to believe but the once fired nosler brass is 36.5gn of water and the converted Hagar brass is 35.1gn

This explains the speed gains but doesn't explain the lower pressure signs on the primers

Hard to believe that the larger head area is to blame but that could be it. I haven't done the math so I'm not sure of what percentage increase in head area is in play.

Your case capacity is pretty much identical to the 22X6.8 Ritch and I shoot.

Greg

I just went and retested the nosler brass with 33gn cfe223 vs the Hagar brass and lost a lil over 100 fps avg and the group opened up quite a bit. Along with terrible headswipes

Nosler 3585 fps
Hagar 3691 fps

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueI just went and retested the nosler brass with 33gn cfe223 vs the Hagar brass and lost a lil over 100 fps avg and the group opened up quite a bit. Along with terrible headswipes

Nosler 3585 fps
Hagar 3691 fps

53 gainers? When did you get the Nosler brass?

Greg

Back