Gas System Retune

daddyflea

My can is coming soon and I keep reading about retuning the gas system. Will I have to do this on a DPMS 308 Recon?

I bought an Odin Works adjustable clamp-on gas block and it works very well. Adjust the screw all the way closed then slowly open it up firing with 1 round in the mag each time until the bolt locks back on an empty mag. Repeat this several times to make sure it keeps locking back. Then open it up another click or two to make sure enough gas gets through to cycle properly.

^^^^what he said. I used one of theirs on my last rifle and it worked better that the others I have tried. When you get it right you'll notice a lot softer recoil also from the buffer not bottoming out.

Originally Posted By: roky0702Adjust the screw all the way closed then slowly open it up firing with 1 round in the mag each time until the bolt locks back on an empty mag

I would suggest starting with the gas block open, then closing it down until the rifle ejects but does not lock back. Then, open it one click and see if it will lock back. The problem with closing the gas block is that with each shot, you increase the chance of the case sticking in the chamber and needing to pogo the rifle to get it out.

You shouldn't need to start with the gas block wide full open. Set the gas block about half way open, depending on gas port diameter.

I have an SLR adjustable gas block on a suppressed shorty AR and it makes tuning a snap

I got the SLR Block and the Hydraulic Buffer. I don't have my Suppressor yet but I went ahead and set the Rifle up. I am using a DPMS Recon in 308. I really did not notice less recoil but I did notice that it is throwing the empty cases pretty far at the 430 position. I killed a Hog with it two days ago and was able to see the bullet hit the Hog in the scope which is a 4X14X50 Leupold, so it looks like it is all working correctly.

Back