Armoring Tool Exchange Program

Brad W

I've been kicking this idea around for a while. I am constantly in need of some tool that I have one use for and likely won't need again. I recently purchased an AR10 vice block used to swap out a handguard and then dropped into my misc parts and tools bin where it will likely remain until my estate goes up for auction and it is sold as an antique relic of the days when Americans still knew how to use their hands.

I think for many people certain tools end up with the same fate. This seems like a huge waste and the wasted money just means less left over for ammo. It would be great to have a way to rent/exchange tools for a single use and then not be out $30-100 for a likely one time operation. Some may argue that everyone should have these tools, but if there was easy access to them through a program basically everyone would.

I see a few possibilities for this service.

1. A website or forum (some sort of organization system) where people could post their tools. Anyone who needs the tool could "buy" it for it's approx value + shipping and then upon return the value - shipping would be refunded. This way if someone rented a tool and we never heard from them again the owner would not be out a dime. It would require trusting the tool owner to process the refund but we have many trusted members here that I think could handle the task.

2. A single person buys/has many of the commonly needed tools and uses the same system described above.

3. A single or group of people post tools that they have and then the renters pay shipping plus a few bucks with no refund so that even if a tool is not returned the cost may be covered and then some over time assuming most people do return them.

4. Trusted users only request a tool and then are listed as the current holder of the tool so that they can ship it to another user when someone else requests it. Each user just pays the shipping cost. Each user of group could be requested to post a tool for exchange (donate) in order to make their first request.

As for maintenance of this system we could even work in a donation to The forum for every transaction. This would probably be honor system but if the forum got a buck each time someone requested a tool that could also help support it.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Why not just post your tools that you want to do this with here on the Classified thread as for sale, at a used price. You can in that posting list the price you want, and then leave a message there that it's up for sale and if someone is looking for that, when they search, it would come up.
Then they could post it up the same as you did in the same thread.

Simple, no changes to the site, and no trying to do refunds.

There are only 3 people I would let "borrow" my tools, if they leave my house, they are sold and i don't expect them back and who ever buys them, is free to sell it when they are done.

Like we do for video's here.

The idea has merit. You need to find other like minded individuals. Try going on a gunsmithing or machinist site.

Back