Threading

daddyflea

I just bought a Suppressor a Silencerco Omega 30 Cal and it will fit my DPMS recon but I want to use it on my .223. I have a DPMS Sweet 16 with a Bull Barrel. Who can thread these?

I would just thread that .224 bore barrel ( DPMS Sweet 16 ) to the industry std. of 1/2x28 for future resale of barrel, or in case you do get a .223 Can in future .
It way easier to just use a quality 5/8x24 to 1/2x28 thread adapter, to move that .30 Can to the .223 Bore barrel .

Originally Posted By: IndexFingerI would just thread that .224 bore barrel ( DPMS Sweet 16 ) to the industry std. of 1/2x28 for future resale of barrel, or in case you do get a .223 Can in future .
It way easier to just use a quality 5/8x24 to 1/2x28 thread adapter, to move that .30 Can to the .223 Bore barrel .

Not totally true. Concentricity between multiple parts isn't as easy as it sounds. Especially when buying mass manufactured, readily available parts. I'm running into that trying to run my .338 can on my Pap m92. Can is 5/8 x 24 rh but the gun is 26mm lh. I have the adapter and everything screws together fine. But Concentricity of the barrel to adapter to can is out enough to cause a baffle strike even with the overbore .338 on a 30 cal barrel.

Thread it to fit your can. If you sell it and the buyer want to thread it 1/2 x 28 then there is enough meat to do so.

Area 419 did a great job on mine. I believe he is in Ohio.
"competent gunsmith"
Make sure you find on of these.
I had a gunsmith, {and I use that term very lightly} close to my house do three. He screwed them up, and I had to send them in to get them redone. Get references if your not sure.

The Omega is very modular and doesn't need the use of adapters. They come with 5/8x24 direct thread, a .30 cal 5/8 brake mount and a coupon when you register the suppressor for another free mount (flash hider). You can request a brake mount instead and also exhange the provided brake mount for another one in a different caliber size or thread pattern. They have awesome customer service. I use a .223 1/2x28 brake mount on my SBR, 5.56 direct thread on my other rifles threaded 1/2, and .30 cal direct thread on my rifles threaded 5/8.

I would get the Sweet 16 threaded 1/2x28 by an experienced gunsmith who specializes in suppressor threading so they are concentric to the bore. Longrifles Inc, TS CUstoms, and Adco are good to go. CLass 3 Machining is great also and threads for only $50.

Edit: I see it's a .308 Recon. You could get the Sweet 16 threaded 5/8x24 so you don't have to worry about different thread patterns.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: willy1947
They do a nice job turn around is a week.

https://gemtech.com/barrel-threading-service/

$189??? That's not only a joke, that's a rip off!!! I've got a local guy doing them for $35 a barrel. It's not rocket science, any basic Machinist should be able to set a barrel up and knock out a thread job in 30 minutes.
I've got 9 barrels threaded.... there is no way I would have paid $189 plus shipping to do each barrel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: willy1947
They do a nice job turn around is a week.

https://gemtech.com/barrel-threading-service/

$189??? That's not only a joke, that's a rip off!!! I've got a local guy doing them for $35 a barrel. It's not rocket science, any basic Machinist should be able to set a barrel up and knock out a thread job in 30 minutes.
I've got 9 barrels threaded.... there is no way I would have paid $189 plus shipping to do each barrel.

Holy crap that is a rip-off! Add the cut and crown and they get another $40!

Back