Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor Predator Follow up Review

Recon Ops

7 weeks after getting some amazing results with the Ruger American Rifle, this is a follow up review. My best 100 yard group (I only shot 3 groups at 100 yards) was even better than before.

Wouldn't hurt to adjust your scope before going hunting again. Seems you consistently shoot left of center. Just saying.

Last edited:
Yah. I may need to. If you saw my first video, I zeroed the scope in with a left to right wind of about 10-12 mph. This follow up review there really wasn't much of any wind to speak of and I think that may have been part of it.

I'm not ripping on you but without watching your video (low data right now) and seeing the targets your holding I'd say a Ruger should group much better than that at 100 yards. My Ruger hawkeye 22-250 does about 1" to 1-1/4" at 200 yards. That's using a cheap rest to try and keep it steady. maybe adjust your scope or a better rest? Like I said I haven't seen the video.

Originally Posted By: Tgunz64I'm not ripping on you but without watching your video (low data right now) and seeing the targets your holding I'd say a Ruger should group much better than that at 100 yards. My Ruger hawkeye 22-250 does about 1" to 1-1/4" at 200 yards. That's using a cheap rest to try and keep it steady. maybe adjust your scope or a better rest? Like I said I haven't seen the video.

Yes, you must watch the video. Those are my 200 yard targets. My best 100 yard group will knock your socks off.

Originally Posted By: Tgunz64I'm not ripping on you but without watching your video (low data right now) and seeing the targets your holding I'd say a Ruger should group much better than that at 100 yards. My Ruger hawkeye 22-250 does about 1" to 1-1/4" at 200 yards. That's using a cheap rest to try and keep it steady. maybe adjust your scope or a better rest? Like I said I haven't seen the video.

The Ruger American Predator will shoot better. My 6.5 will shoot 2" five shot groups at 300 with factory ammo and 1/2"-3/4" at 100 yards. I have not loaded for it but expect that will tighten up with them.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: Tgunz64I'm not ripping on you but without watching your video (low data right now) and seeing the targets your holding I'd say a Ruger should group much better than that at 100 yards. My Ruger hawkeye 22-250 does about 1" to 1-1/4" at 200 yards. That's using a cheap rest to try and keep it steady. maybe adjust your scope or a better rest? Like I said I haven't seen the video.

The Ruger American Predator will shoot better. My 6.5 will shoot 2" five shot groups at 300 with factory ammo and 1/2"-3/4" at 100 yards. I have not loaded for it but expect that will tighten up with them.

Yes Sir! My best group of 3 groups at 100 yards in the video is .58" 4 shot group.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesYour calipers say .985 center to center, that is your group size.

No sir. You are reading the instrument backwards. The group size is .58". Thanks for watching the video though.

Good video and some nice 100 yard groups. I would put the scope at 20-24 power to target shoot ,you should set your focus at max power as well then back it down if you choose to. I think the rifle has good potential with some practice .

Your pics or video are not showing up for me. I'll try a different browser. OK, found it.....

Great 100 yd target on the bi pod. If I might suggest a couple of things...... First, keep your left hand off the forearm when shooting with the bi pod. Next... and this is your choice but Ruger is known for crap triggers. Have your trigger worked on and get it down to 2 lbs. I could see a small "twitch" each time you shot and that could be trigger related. It was not a flinch but I think a reaction to how much pressure it took to get that trigger to break.....

JMHO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: huntschoolYour pics or video are not showing up for me. I'll try a different browser. OK, found it.....

Great 100 yd target on the bi pod. If I might suggest a couple of things...... First, keep your left hand off the forearm when shooting with the bi pod. Next... and this is your choice but Ruger is known for crap triggers. Have your trigger worked on and get it down to 2 lbs. I could see a small "twitch" each time you shot and that could be trigger related. It was not a flinch but I think a reaction to how much pressure it took to get that trigger to break.....

Oh, I welcome the feedback. I completely agree that I sometimes have a twitch b/c I'm anticipating when that trigger is actually going to fire. Thanks. I really will look into this. And why is it that I would want to keep my left hand off the gun stalk?

JMHO

There are two schools of thought on the trigger thing one is you want to be in control but perhaps surprised a bit and the other is complete and calculated control. Your choice.....

As to the left hand on the "stalk" (stock, actually forearm), many instructors teach when shooting from a rest, either bags or bi pod, you want the front end free. This does not mean "free recoil" as you are imparting some control with your right and left hands. I was taught (60 years ago) that when shooting from a bag/bi pod bench rest situation you should bring the left hand back to your rear support as that will help you regulate the elevation of your muzzle.

I really think you will get some great targets out of this gun but it is going to take some trigger time (lots of ammo down the pipe) and perhaps some additional investment in "up grades" like trigger, scope and base and rings. I shoot mostly single shot center fire like Ruger #1's and Browning 78's. To me if a gun shoots a solid group at 100 and starts to open up badly at 200, its either ammo or trigger or scope. Your choice and I am sure some will have other opinions.

Understand, I no longer shoot rifle competitions save for some fun stuff with 22's and good old boy stuff and steel with center fire. My eyes have gotten to bad to shoot bug holes at 250 yds. LOL But, I still want my guns to perform. Its worth the time and money........

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Back