3 coyotes before noon

Seebass

Had a great day calling today!

Woke up at 415 this morning, gathered my gear and headed out. I got to the ranch just before light and the wind was blowing completely opposite of the forecast. So I was forced to walk across the entire ranch to get down wind. Before I did I made my first stand.

Facing west I started with Vole Squeaks. At 3 minutes I had a coyote coming in on a trot straight in front of me. It crossed my approach path about 200 yards away and immediately veered north and moved around downwind. It never stopped so I let it go. I kept calling and at 11 minutes I went into my fight sequence. I immediately have a pair coming in from the same spot as the first! They too veered at the same exact spot!! The lead coyote started running away on the same path as the original but the second coyote of the pair wasn't in a hurry. I gave a couple of barks from the diaphragm and she stopped broadside at 150 yards. DRT!

As I was walking to my second stand I saw 2 coyotes running away from me but they were 5-600 yards out. I blanked on my second stand and headed to my 3rd.

By this time I was on the east side of the ranch facing north with a WNW wind. I started calling and at 15 minutes I again went into my fight sequence combined with my mouth call.

I had this male come in and dive under the fence at 75 yards were I barked it to a stop. I hit this male a bit far back and virtually unzipped him. He rolled around a bit before I put another in him (head shot) to finish the job. Dude was nasty!

I began the arduous walk back toward the truck as it started to get warm, it was around 10am. As I made my way back I jumped this coyote about 10 feet from me! I got on a knee as it took off into a ravine. I waited a few seconds before seeing it pop up on the far side 125 yards away. I got my sticks up, took aim and squeezed. DRT! Thank goodness because it was the last round in the gun! I forgot to reload after the first 2 coyote.

The ridge in the back is where he jumped from, where he lay is where he dropped.

I made one last blank stand before seeing another coyote running across the pasture less the 100 yards in front of my truck! No shot so it got a pass. I was back in my truck and on the the way home by 1215p.

One last pano of a stand.

Carlos

1689.gif

Changed to new HOM banner, but no pics in story, so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great hunt, Carlos. Tough spotting 'em and getting clear shot in that tall, dry grass. Your rolling terrain may make it a bit easier, but I hate high grass in this flat country.

Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Regards,
hm

Good pics. That gun looks huge, oh I guess the coyotes are just smaller. That terrain is good for calling. Hope to see more.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Good pics. That gun looks huge, oh I guess the coyotes are just smaller. That terrain is good for calling. Hope to see more.

Yeah, that barrel has to be 26-28" long.

Regards,
hm

Thanks for all the comments everyone!!

The grass is still a bit tall, but falling over fast now that we're hitting the upper 80's into the low 90's. The grass browned up in about a 2 week span as well so now the coyotes are blending in really good too. I've only been out a couple times in the last few months because the grass was unhuntable. 3-5ft tall everywhere. This ranch in particular is 1700 acres. I walk it 90% of the time.

My rifle is a standard Remington 700 VSF .223 with a 26" fluted bull barrel. The only thing I've done is swap out the trigger for a Timney. It's a bit heavy lugging around but the accuracy makes up for it.

Originally Posted By: SeebassThanks for all the comments everyone!!

The grass is still a bit tall, but falling over fast now that we're hitting the upper 80's into the low 90's. The grass browned up in about a 2 week span as well so now the coyotes are blending in really good too. I've only been out a couple times in the last few months because the grass was unhuntable. 3-5ft tall everywhere. This ranch in particular is 1700 acres. I walk it 90% of the time.

My rifle is a standard Remington 700 VSF .223 with a 26" fluted bull barrel. The only thing I've done is swap out the trigger for a Timney. It's a bit heavy lugging around but the accuracy makes up for it.

You got that right! I dont have the VSF model but I do have a pair of SPS-Varmints in .223. They are heavy and Imdont try tomshoot them off hand. But they sure are nice when you need to take an accurate shot. The longest shots Ive taken with mine are 297yd kill with one and a 441yd kill with the other. They are great rifles!

Back