Low Scope mount?

jk2paintworx

I am considering putting a Vortex Viper pst on my calling rifle and it has a 30mm tube with a 32 objective. I know that keeping your scope as close to your bore is always a good move and the small objective will allow a low mounting position but I am not finding many options. I have been running Aero Precision cantilever mounts and really like em but they don't offer anything in low. My stock is a Mission First Minimal and I think it will allow a good cheek weld with a low mount. I prefer a one piece cantilever mount if possible.

You need a standard AR tyle (Aero Precision extended etc) height mount for an AR15 in order to get propper cheek weld. A "low" mount will be way too low.

Low scope mounts apply to traditional bolt action shaped rifle stocks.

Do what DD and P760 said. I had a spare set of lows lying around and thought the same as you. The lows are too low and you will have a sore cheek bone from trying to ride your cheek into proper eye position. I did that on a 300 blk but not for long.(one shooting session)...,

My nikon bases put my scope ceterline 2.625"ish above bore center and refgular weaver extra highs were too low so I added a .5" riser and it is now 3" above the bore center. Both feel good but low wont work on an AR. Mediums on my 700 put me right at 1.69" above. This difference will cahange your 100 yard poi by about .5" if you want a 200 yard zero.

Last edited:
You don't want a low scope mount. You want it higher so you can charge your rifle properly and have a good cheek weld. The Aero should be good to go.

AR's are not bolt action guns lower is not better, take the advice given as some of it came from already buying lows and now they are just sitting in the reloading bench.
the Burris Peeper is a good choice.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760The straight comb of the AR requires a mount that puts the scope higher. Otherwise, cheek weld will be impossible.

+1 for Rahlow. Totally impossible for a grown man

Again, just take a look at the American Defense Recon, double lever quick detach.

Primary Arms this weekend has about $50.00 off on them. CHEAP as you'll ever see!!!

Most AR cantilever mounts are about 1.5". Some guys do prefer "lower" AR mounts depending on their cheekbone structure. I believe ADM has lower ones as well as DNZ Freedom Reaper which I believe is 1.25". I wouldn't go lower than that though.

The Warne Xskel is 1.4" high from the rail. The Burris PEPR is 1.6" and change. Might not seem like a lot, but for my cheek weld, the Warne puts the scope perfectly in line, whereas I have to lift just a tiny bit for the PEPR. I have several pepr's, mostly because I can get them cheaper than the warnes, and because they are a great mount, but I do appreciate that little difference in mount height.

Back