Live trapping coons...

1shot1

I thought this would be a good place to ask a few questions about this subject. I have a few Have-a-heart traps...but I'm not to happy with them...is there some other company that makes a better trap...something to so flimsy?

1Shot1

The havahearts are not the best livetrap going.. I don't like the trigger and spring mechanisms on them. I use a trap made by a guy in northern Indiana and I intend on purchasing 2-3 new ones this weekend at our ISTA convention. The construction is much stronger and the locking mechanism is totally different than the havahearts. I will get you a web address if I find one. I'd definately suggest this product but I don't have much info for you.

Why not make your own?Liteweight,effective,escape proof "guillotine" style drop door for less than ten bucks.

If you're interested I'll post the plans later tonite?.Sorry,just don't have time rite now.

Thanks for the replies.

jrbhunter...I'd like some more info on this trap that your talking about...what do they cost...can you post pic?

Grinr,
I would rally be interested in making my own...do they wof good? Please post plans.

1shot1

Ok,I'll explain as best I can without pics.for a 12x12x36 trap you will need:

5'of 2x4
3'x6' heavy chicken wire,(fox pen wire)
12"x12&1/2" 3/8 plywood
12x12&1/2 sheet metal
3"nails and 1"staples

i'll give the measurements assuming you are using rough 2x4 that is a true 2"x4" instead of finished which is smaller.

Cut a length of 2x4 48" long.Mark the center and chalk the length,using skilsaw set to 1/2",rip a channel the length of 2x4.Make several passes until the channel is 1/2" wide x 1/2"deep x 48 long.It should be off-center,that is there will be 2" on one side of channel,1 1/2" on other.(a router would work better for this if you have one).

Cut the 2x4 into 3 pcs,2x18 and 1 @ 12".Nail the 3 pcs together forming a U-shape with the channel alligned inside.next,nail in the 4th pc,2x4x12".This piece will be 10" from the bottom of the "U",and turned so as not to obstruct the door channel.Drill a 1/4" hole in the center of the fourth piece(this will be the trigger).this completes the framework of the door.Cut a plywood door to fit,cover one side with sheet metal.Form the cage part of the trap and fasten to frame with staples.Trigger assembly is nothing more than a length of mechanics wire and 3" nail.The nail goes through the 1/4" hole you drilled to hold the door up,dangle the other end through the cage near the rear and hang a can of sardines/other bait.Set the nail "hair triggered".

The trap is very lite and needs to staked to the ground so coon can't tip it over and escape once caught,as gravity is all that holds the door down.Sheet metal will prevent coon from clawing/chewing the door and getting out.

hope this is helpful.Not sure how clear this will be without pics.Just imagine a guillotine?Good luck

what problems have you experienced with the larger have-a-heart live traps? mine has caught at least 20 plus, including opossum, housecats, and many, many coon. i just hose them off after spraying with an acid wash to get rid of , ..., and have had no problems.

I use Havaharts and have taken many coon and possums with them, they will work, the best way to use them is to keep the back door closed, door that doesn't go to pan. I also use those plastic cups that applesauce and jello comes in and those are what I put my bait in, it gives the coon something to chew on while in the trap and and most are sleeping when I get there.

JRB, I'll agree they aren't the best trap out there and William's traps at the bomb. But I am just a poor hick and spent all my monie getting over to Green Castle to see all you ugly Indiana trappers. Jeff

Grinr,
Thanks...I think. Without pics to see what you are talking about I think I'd just make a mess. Got a camera??

1shot1

Gotta camera but no coontraps at the moment.Haven't trapped in several years other than a bit of snaring and a few beaver and I lent(read gave away)the live traps that I had.I do plan to do a little trapping this year though,and I need some live traps around home for them lil' garbage tippin' over SOBs once they prime up.Going moose hunting tommorrow for a few days,maybe I can put one together with pics Sunday?

I built a couple of live traps just for coon. They are made from steel hog panel, and are 14" square & four feet long. Here is front view with entry door locked open.
DSCF0390.jpg

Side view of trap. Note that end where bait goes is wrapped with rabbit wire so coons can't reach in and steal bait. Fish chunks in a can hung at rear of trap works well for bait. Coon must step on pan to get bait. This fires the trigger and trap door falls & locks.
DSCF0386.jpg

I trap allot of coon with the Havahearts. I haven't lost 1 yet. They are good traps. The best? I don't think so. But there is nothing wrong with them.

Mr. Cornk. I like the looks of your traps. How heavy are those?

I have been thinking of building my own for some time now.

cougerbait,
I never did weigh one of those, but I wouldn't want to carry one for any great distance. They are strong though, and will last a couple of lifetimes or more.

Rich,
Thanks for the reply...this is more along the lined of what I'm looking for...something that's heavy duty. Can you show me some detailed pics of the "trigger" and how it works? Thanks,

1shot1

Back