Happy Memorial Day!!

fw707

I hope everybody has a great day honoring those responsible for our freedoms!
May everybody have good food and good fellowship with friends and families, and safe travels!!!

thumbup.gif

For some it's not a happy day.

Not getting on anyone specific, but if you wouldn't say happy your family members death, you wouldn't say the same to vets that have lost brothers.

For me, it's a sad day personally having lost more than 20 close friends. I bbq, and relax doing the things that we all loved to do, but Its somber not happy day.

I am with you on this Tbone, to many memories of lost brothers. I came home from Nam 46 years ago on Memorial Day, it was to be a great day but it wasn't. I attend services recognizing and respecting those that gave it all, a very tough day. It is mostly women and us old guys not to many young ones.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZFor some it's not a happy day.

Not getting on anyone specific, but if you wouldn't say happy your family members death, you wouldn't say the same to vets that have lost brothers.

For me, it's a sad day personally having lost more than 20 close friends. I bbq, and relax doing the things that we all loved to do, but Its somber not happy day.

I apologize to anybody I have insulted.

I guess I didn't make my intentions clear:

Originally Posted By: fw707I hope everybody has a great day honoring those responsible for our freedoms!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Vetrans day = a heartfelt thankyou
Memorial day= a heartfelt moment of silence for lost brothers, a down turned glass and plate
My children understand why that plate sets at the head of the table.

Originally Posted By: fw707I apologize to anybody I have insulted.

I see no reason for apologies. Most people don't even think about it, and I personally would never assume that your intention was anything other than honest and supportive.

It was a day that i got a lot of Happy Memorial days from people, and thought I should share an analogy and it was nothing personal about you FW. IN any way.

With the exception of one or two that don't seem to show up here, everyone seems to be very supportive and all i was doing was sharing a perspective, not critiquing at all.

I personally struggle with that day, i have an even harder time trying to come up with a way to say it myself..

I burried good friends. I have had to present a flag to the wives of those that were under me at their funerals, that didn't make it. I don't know why, or how i walked out of some of the fire fights alive. One being over 24 hours long. Running out of ammo and using AKs from the ground.

Happy isn't on that list, but not sure which word would be. I do know that all of them, myself at the top of the list would want everyone to go on, live life, Enjoy lots of BBQ, and go fishing and hunting.
It's our way of life that makes others hate us and resent us. SO stick it to them, eat BBQ pork, drink beer, and whistle at hot women that deserve it, and be thankful for no Burqa's here.

For me, I will Reflect on Memorial day, and remember the friends that would be shocked to see what has become of our country after they have paid the ultimate price...

For me, the word I use is grateful.

I do hope my family and friends have a happy memorial day, because that is what their friends and loved ones died for. They did not give up their lives so we could be unhappy. I do not rejoice in their sacrifice, only in the freedom that they earned for me.

For those like Tony who stood shoulder to shoulder with the fallen, I offer my humblest "thank you".

I know you did not do it for my gratitude, but because you are that special kind of person that knows what is right and has the fortitude to honor your convictions.

I pray my son who is currently serving can return with such honor.

Back